Church cel­e­brates 115th an­niver­sary

Rutherglen Reformer - - Intimations - Jonathan Ged­des

Ruther­glen United Re­formed Church re­cently marked their 115th an­niver­sary with a spe­cial cel­e­bra­tion.

The church hosted two events to mark the oc­ca­sion, and Rev John San­der­son was de­lighted at how well both had gone.

He said: “Firstly, on Saturday, May 21, over 90 mem­bers and friends joined to­gether around the ta­bles to en­joy a won­der­ful four course din­ner, that was pre­pared by and served by mem­bers of the church fel­low­ship.

“Fol­low­ing the meal en­ter­tain­ment was pro­vided by EROS ( East Ren­frew­shire Oper­atic So­ci­ety) who treated the ap­pre­cia­tive au­di­ence to a range of songs from the mu­si­cals and opera.

“A great evening of food, en­ter­tain­ment and ta­ble fel­low­ship was had by all.

“On Sun­day morn­ing the con­gre­ga­tion gath­ered around the same ta­bles to give thanks and praise to God.

“The ser­vice was led by Rev John Humphreys, Mod­er­a­tor of the URC Synod of Scot­land, who en­cour­aged the con­gre­ga­tion to look to the fu­ture – whether one year, five years or an­other 115 years from now – con­fi­dent that God is with them as they con­tinue to serve Christ and con­tinue to wit­ness to God’s lov­ing pres­ence in the world.”

Dur­ing the ser­vice Rev Humphreys pre­sented two mem­bers of the con­gre­ga­tion with cer­tifi­cates for cour­ses they had re­cently com­pleted.

Mr John Collings re­ceived a Training for Learn­ing and Ser­vice Cer­tifi­cate in Gate­ways into Wor­ship and Mrs Eli­nor McCul­loch re­ceived a ‘ Training for Learn­ing and Ser­vice’ Cer­tifi­cate in De­vel­op­ing Com­mu­nity Ex­pe­ri­ences.

The first ser­vice of Ruther­glen Con­gre­ga­tional Church was held in the Har­riet Street Hall on May 19, 1901.

In 1903 the church moved to a newly erected build­ing in East Main Street be­fore mov­ing to their cur­rent lo­ca­tion, which is in John­stone Drive in 1935.

On April 1, 2000, as a re­sult of a union be­tween the Con­gre­ga­tional Union of Scot­land and the United Re­formed Church the church be­came known as Ruther­glen United Re­formed Church.

In 2006 the Church was awarded the sta­tus of be­ing a Fair Trade Church and more re­cently be­came an eco­con­gre­ga­tion.

The church has also af­firmed its will­ing­ness to be a place where the bless­ings of civil part­ner­ships can be held in re­cent years.

John added: “Over the years the struc­tures of the church have changed to adapt to chang­ing sit­u­a­tions and cir­cum­stances. What has re­mained con­stant in that time is the im­por­tance of the Church meet­ing as the place where is­sues are dis­cussed and de­cided upon.”

A great evening of food, en­ter­tain­ment and ta­ble fel­low­ship was had by all”

On Song EROS per­formed for Ruther­glen United Re­formed Church

Cel­e­bra­tion These par­ish­ioners en­joyed the day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.