Group reaches the end of the John Muir Way

Rutherglen Reformer - - Bereavement - Jonathan Ged­des

Cam­bus­lang Parish Church’s walk­ing group re­cently com­pleted a walk two years in the mak­ing.

For the past two years the group have been cov­er­ing sec­tions of the John Muir Way, a cross coun­try route from He­lens­burgh to Dun­bar.

As the party left the church on their lat­est walk only two sec­tions and 24 miles sep­a­rated the group from achiev­ing their goal.

The penul­ti­mate sec­tion is Aber­lady to Ber­wick Law car park.

The weather was dry how­ever there was a bit of a wind and it was very cold, with the route tak­ing the group through Gul­lane, Dir­li­ton and North Ber­wick.

Af­ter a short climb out of North Ber­wick the group ar­rived at the car park of Ber­wick Law, and although some would think that af­ter 10 miles the walk­ers would be glad to head for their ho­tel and put their feet up, the Cam­bus­lang walk­ers are made of strong stuff and eight of the Group climbed to the top of Ber­wick Law.

De­scend­ing back to the car park the eight then met up with the other six who had en­joyed a cof­fee break in North Ber­wick.

With this sec­tion com­plete the walk­ers trav­elled on to Dun­bar for the overnight stay at the Dun­muir Ho­tel.

This was a most en­joy­able part of the trip, good food, good com­pany, a few bev­er­ages and a comfy bed.

Next day af­ter a fine break­fast the group trav­elled back to Ber­wick Law car park for the fi­nal 14 mile walk to Dun­bar.

As the Group set off the top of the Law was ob­scured by mist, ini­tially the route took the group south to­wards East Lin­ton and be­fore long the sun burned the mist away.

Af­ter pass­ing through East Lin­ton and en­joy­ing the sun­shine the route turned east to­wards Dun­bar.

The path fol­lowed the River Tyne for a few miles and lunch was en­joyed be­side a foot bridge, with some of the party sit­ting in the shade on one side of the river while oth­ers sat on the other side, bask­ing in the warm sun.

With lunch over the group con­tin­ued along the Way to­wards Dun­bar.

Reach­ing the out­skirts of Dun­bar the route me­an­dered round the head­land of the John Muir Park and up onto the cliff top es­planade.

Fi­nally the High Street was reached and it was 4.59pm when the first mem­bers of the Group ar­rived out­side the house where John Muir was born.

Just then a lady came out of the front door about to lock up but when she re­alised the group had just fin­ished the walk she quickly con­grat­u­lated them on the achieve­ment and in­vited those who had com­pleted the en­tire route in to the house and pre­sented them with a cer­tifi­cate of com­ple­tion.

Af­ter the ex­cite­ment of reach­ing the end of the walk was over there was still a short walk back to the ho­tel, then there was the task of get­ting the cars back from the Law and of course the long jour­ney home.

For more in­for­ma­tion about the Walk­ing Group, in­clud­ing full de­tails of our pro­gramme of walks visit the Cam­bus­lang Parish Church web­site at­bus­lang­ look un­der Or­gan­i­sa­tions, then se­lect Walk­ing

Ac­com­plish­ment The group at John Muir’s House

High View Some of the group on their trip

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.