Play­ers scratch­ing heads at ref blun­ders

Glens lose penul­ti­mate pre-sea­son game 3-1

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports - Peter Fer­gu­son

Glen­cairn trav­elled to the north end of Glas­gow to the newly re­fur­bished Peu­geot Ash­field Sta­dium to take on hosts Ash­field in the penul­ti­mate friendly match of pre-sea­son.

Both teams looked keen for the ac­tion prior to kick off but it was the ref­eree who had the play­ers and coach­ing staff scratch­ing their heads over the 90 min­utes.

With a few play­ers nurs­ing mi­nor knocks and some still on hol­i­day, Glen­cairn had a match­day squad of 18 play­ers to choose from.

Team man­ager Wil­lie Har­vey was back in the dugout af­ter his sum­mer break, and the hope was that the team would con­tinue its progress af­ter a pos­i­tive pre­vi­ous week­end at the Kil­birnie tour­na­ment.

But the home side didn’t waste any time in tak­ing the lead.

A long ball for­ward was flicked on in the air for Steven Dy­mock, who looked to be in an off­side po­si­tion, be­fore he was al­lowed to run on and fire a de­ci­sive fin­ish un­der JC Hutchi­son.

It took The Glens a few min­utes to set­tle af­ter this early set­back, but the 15th minute saw them de­servedly draw level. Fraser’s cross from the left was not ef­fec­tively cleared by the home de­fence and Sean McGuire latched onto the loose ball and planted a shot past Martin Storey, with the help of a slight de­flec­tion.

The black and white sup­port hoped that would be the cat­a­lyst for Glen­cairn to as­sert their author­ity on the game, but they were rocked back again in the 26th minute as Ash­field re­gained the lead.

This time there were no doubts about the va­lid­ity of the goal, and also no doubts about the slack­ness of the de­fend­ing. Kyle Lochhead’s free kick picked out the free head of Alex Don­nelly right in front of goal, six yards out, and he sim­ply couldn’t miss as he put the home side 2- 1 ahead.

The ref­eree baf­fled ev­ery­body on the pitch and in the crowd on the half hour mark as he stopped play to deal with a shout from the Glen­cairn dugout.

With no of­fence hav­ing been com­mit­ted on the field of play, the whistler then bizarrely awarded a free kick to Ash­field, with both sets of play­ers shak­ing their heads in con­fu­sion.

Glen­cairn made seven changes at the in­ter­val as they con­tin­ued their pre-sea­son pol­icy of giv­ing ev­ery squad player as close to equal game time as pos­si­ble.

The Glens con­tin­ued to at­tack, with Ash­field not re­ally threat­en­ing much at the other end, and Mar­shall’s pin-point cross picked out the free head of Craig McGre­gor at the back post.

His ef­fort beat Mather but re­bounded from the top of the cross­bar.

Glen­cairn re-shaped the team to three at the back to try to change their for­tunes but they were caught on the break in the 85th minute as Ash­field tied up the game.

Right-back David Cane looked to be off­side as he was re­leased on the wing was al­lowed to run on and square the ball to Steven Dy­mock who slipped the ball un­der Glen­cairn’s sub­sti­tute goal­keeper KP McAl­lis­ter.

The ref­eree had the play­ers and coach­ing staff scratch­ing their heads

Ruther­glen Glen­cairn: Hutchi­son (McAl­lis­ter), Hall (Brown), Dempsey, Don­ald­son, McGre­gor (Dun­nachie), Mar­shall, McNab (Hamil­ton), McGuire (Docherty), McKay, Ben­nett (Cullen), Fraser (Salah).

Pre-sea­son Glen­cairn’s Del McNab takes on the Ash­field de­fence in the first half

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.