Spi­ders suf­fer de­feat in opener

MacPher­son’s side rue missed chances

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Gus MacPher­son felt the score­line was not a true re­flec­tion of the game as his Queens Park team lost their open­ing match on re­turn­ing to Lad­brokes League One.

Iain Rus­sell opened the scor­ing from the penalty spot be­fore Fitz­patrick dou­bled the lead.

The Spi­ders pulled one back through Adam Cum­mins but Adam Brown made sure of the re­sult with a last-gasp ef­fort.

MacPher­son said: “We made an ex­cel­lent start to the game and cre­ated two or three chances but you’ve got to take them.

“Was 3-1 a true re­flec­tion of the game? I don’t think so.

“We have put a marker down in terms of how we would like to play and made chances to equalise.”

For­mer Cam­bus­lang Rangers and Air­drie striker Ai­den Malone al­most stunned his old club af­ter just 41 sec­onds.

Fitz­patrick lost con­trol of the ball in­side the Spi­ders’ half, with Gus MacPher­son’s men break­ing quickly.

Mid­fielder Dar­ren Miller fed Malone, who took aim from the edge of the box but watched as the ball crashed back off the bar.

Paul Woods should have blasted his side in front af­ter 18 min­utes but his ef­fort from Miller’s cut­back was well saved by Ro­han Fer­gu­son.

Queen’s were the bet­ter side but lacked a cut­ting edge in the fi­nal third and that proved to be a dan­ger­ous flaw as the visi­tors took the lead in the 29th minute.

A Ryan Con­roy shot was blocked by the Queen’s de­fence, with goal­keeper An­drew Mur­phy slow off his line to get to the loose ball and sub­se­quently bring­ing down Rus­sell.

Ref­eree David Lowe had no hes­i­ta­tion in point­ing to the spot and Rus­sell stepped up to con­vert.

Air­drie dou­bled their ad­van­tage soon af­ter the restart. Con­roy de­liv­ered a fine cor­ner which found Fitz­patrick, who pow­ered home a down­ward header.

It should have been 3-0 six min­utes later when tri­al­ist Jack Leitch played a ball over the top for Kevin Sch­midt but the Dutch striker’s shot hit the post.

Queen’s pulled one back in the 82nd minute when Cum­mins guided home a Miller cor­ner and there were chances to level. Sub Ewan MacPher­son had an ef­fort tipped over by Fer­gu­son be­fore Cum­mins headed wide Miller’s free-kick.

But the Di­a­monds made the game safe in the last minute when a long-range shot from Brown de­flected into the net.

Air­drieo­ni­ans head coach Kevin McBride said: “Queen’s Park can take a lot of credit from the game but the win is mas­sive for us in terms of con­fi­dence.”

The Spi­ders will look to bounce back from de­feat away to Sten­house­muir this week­end (3pm kick-off).

Chal­lenge Ai­den Malone goes down

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.