Watt a goal – late strike stuns Stenny

Sub Josh bags dra­matic late win­ner

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports View -

A late strike from Josh Watt earned Queen’s Park their first points and victory of the sea­son.

Stephen Stir­ling gave Sten­house­muir a first-half lead but a Dar­ren Miller spot-kick af­ter the break and Watt’s late ef­fort se­cured the points for the Spi­ders.

Af­ter the match, Ham­p­den Park boss Gus MacPher­son said: “I’m de­lighted. We com­peted bet­ter and thor­oughly mer­ited the win on our sec­ond-half per­for­mance.

“Some­times you’ve got to grind out the re­sults at this level.”

Queen’s would have taken some con­fi­dence from the per­for­mance against Air­drieo­ni­ans last week­end but they were dealt a blow when in­jury ruled striker Ai­den Malone out of Satur­day’s con­test.

In his ab­sence, Gus MacPher­son gave David Galt the num­ber nine shirt and shuf­fled his pack by start­ing Sean Burns and Liam Brown in place of Malone and Conor McVey.

To make mat­ters even more tricky, for­mer Spi­der Vin­nie Berry and part­ner Stephen Stir­ling gained the upper hand in the mid­dle of the park, leav­ing Queen’s Liam Brown, Paul Woods, Dar­ren Miller and An­ton Brady strug­gling to of­fer Galt the sup­port he needed.

The home side took the lead in the 33rd minute. Stir­ling caught his shot sweetly and the long-range ef­fort left Mur­phy with no chance.

Nei­ther side changed per­son­nel at the break.

Queen’s failed to gain any serious con­trol of pro­ceed­ings, while the home side never looked se­ri­ously men­ac­ing when they had pos­ses­sion. But as the half­way point in the sec­ond pe­riod ar­rived the vis­i­tors were start­ing to pose a goal threat.

A Miller cor­ner was headed on to the bar by McGeever be­fore Cummins set up Gibson with a su­perb cross but Scott couldn’t beat McCabe with his header.

With 18 min­utes to go, how­ever, ev­ery­thing changed. An­other Miller free-kick into the box led to McGeever be­ing brought down. Miller took the kick him­self and beat McCabe with ease to tie things up at 1-1.

No sooner had the ball hit the net than skipper Burns was re­placed with winger Josh Watt, a move that was to pay hand­some div­i­dends. Watt had a great shot saved af­ter 81 min­utes and Miller just couldn’t ad­just his feet quickly enough to steer the re­bound on tar­get.

But in the fi­nal minute Galt found room on the right and fired a cross over to­wards the back post. Watt came rush­ing in and volleyed goal­wards. It looked as if the young sub had over­done his ef­fort to keep the ball down but it hit the deck and looped into the air over keeper McCabe and into the far cor­ner of the net.

Queen’s Park were due to play Partick This­tle Un­der- 20s in the Irn Bru Cup on Tues­day be­fore a trip to Glebe Park to face Brechin City this week­end.

Mobbed Josh Watt takes the praise Pic­ture: IAN CAIRNS

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.