Goal glut sees Glens through

Boss Har­vey asks for more

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports - Peter Fer­gu­son

Wil­lie Har­vey ad­mit­ted he was “not en­tirely happy” with Glen­cairn’s per­for­mance on Satur­day, de­spite his side cruis­ing to a 6-0 win over East Kil­bride This­tle.

The Cel­sius Sta­dium boss watched on as his team topped group four of the Cen­tral Sec­tional League Cup and qual­i­fied for the quar­ter- fi­nals of the com­pe­ti­tion for the first time in four years.

The Glens went into the match level with Cam­bus­lang Rangers on points, goal dif­fer­ence and goals scored, so it was a straight shootout to see who could get the bet­ter re­sult on the day in their re­spec­tive home matches.

A brace each for Jay McKay, Jor­dan Mar­shall and Fraser Team put the game be­yond This­tle and man­ager Har­vey ex­plained the high stan­dards he ex­pects of his team with his as­sess­ment af­ter the match.

He said: “It’s good to get through, and we look for­ward to a big game and hope­fully a big crowd here on Wed­nes­day night.

“I wasn’t en­tirely happy with the per­for­mance, though – we should have scored more goals and we still made too many silly mis­takes. But it’s hard to grum­ble with 6-0 and we top the group.”

Har­vey once again ro­tated the squad and made six changes to the start­ing team from Wed­nes­day night’s 2-1 away win at Blan­tyre.

With one eye on events along the road at Cam­bus­lang, The Glens came storm­ing out of the traps and had put the game be­yond This­tle within 15 min­utes.

Chris Treacy was left help­less in the sev­enth minute as McNab’s cross from the right found Jamie Hamil­ton at the back post. He skipped past his marker be­fore pulling the ball back into the path of Jor­dan Mar­shall who drilled the ball into the net from eight yards out.

The lead was dou­bled in the 10th minute when Jay McKay sprung the off­side trap to score from a tight an­gle.

Glen­cairn were cut­ting This­tle open at will and the game looked to be over as a con­test when the lead was in­creased to 3-0.

McNab broke free on the right and he squared the ball across goal into the path of Fraser Team who did just enough to force it over the line from close range.

Word had fil­tered through that Cam­bus­lang were two goals ahead, so with only one goal be­tween the teams there was still work to be done to se­cure qual­i­fi­ca­tion.

The Glens seemed out of sight just be­fore half-time when a ball up to McKay saw him spin away from his marker and run through on goal. Treacy blocked the ini­tial shot but couldn’t hold it and it dropped in be­hind him. Jay McKay was the win­ner in the race to the loose ball and he fired it into the empty net to make it 4-0.

The Glens took only five min­utes to in­crease their lead in the sec­ond half through a Jor­dan Mar­shall header.

Al­most straight from the restart The Glens got the ball back, and 30 sec­onds later it was 6-0. Hamil­ton ran at the heart of the de­fence be­fore slip­ping a pass to Fraser Team, and his firm shot took a slight de­flec­tion as it fizzed past Treacy and into the net off the un­der­side of the cross­bar.

The Glens were pre­sented at the end of the match with the Cen­te­nary Cup, a tro­phy do­nated to the club by life­long mem­ber Hamish Al­lan to mark their cen­te­nary year in 1996.

It is played for each year in the first match of the sea­son be­tween Glen­cairn and This­tle.

Har­vey’s men will now look for­ward to a quar­ter-fi­nal match at home to Pol­lok tonight, Wed­nes­day.

Cen­te­nary Cup Glen­cairn lift the tro­phy which goes to the win­ner of the yearly clash with This­tle

Mid­field tal­ent Ryan Ben­nett in ac­tion for Glen­cairn

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.