Painful les­son in tak­ing chances

Clyde’s An­nan come­back is all for noth­ing

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Clyde man­ager Barry Fer­gu­son was left frus­trated af­ter watch­ing his side twice bat­tle back from a goal down and still leave Gal­a­bank empty handed.

Peter Mac­Don­ald net­ted twice to can­cel out goals from An­nan duo David McKenna and Dar­ren Ram­say.

But Rabin Omar struck a late win­ner for the home side to send The Bully Wee back to Broad­wood with noth­ing.

“I was re­ally dis­ap­pointed with the out­come,” Fer­gu­son said. “In the first half we didn’t start the way that we have in pre­vi­ous weeks and I let the play­ers know that at half­time.

“I got a re­ac­tion in the sec­ond half and we came back twice – in both cases we could have gone on to win the game.

“Sloppy de­fend­ing cost us and the way that we lost the third one, in par­tic­u­lar, was crim­i­nal.

“Un­for­tu­nately, the stats show that they had three shots on tar­get – and all three went in.

Fer­gu­son made one change to the team fol­low­ing last week’s draw at Stir­ling Al­bion, with Sean Hig­gins com­ing in to the at­tack in place of David Gorm­ley.

The home side came clos­est to scor­ing in the early stages, when David McKenna spot­ted John Gib­son off his line, but his chip shot drifted just wide of goal.

At the other end, Scott Lin­ton fired a shot just over the bar fol­low­ing a set-piece move.

Af­ter 37 min­utes, An­nan made it 1-0 when McKenna found some space at the edge of the box and put a first time shot into the cor­ner of the net.

Clyde looked lively af­ter the break and soon got back on level terms. Dy­lan Eas­ton’s clever pass re­leased Peter Mac­Don­ald and the striker tucked the ball un­der Blair Cur­rie to score.

The Bully Wee im­me­di­ately pressed for an­other goal and Mac­Don­ald had an ex­cel­lent chance to add an­other strike to his name, but his shot from close range was pushed away by Cur­rie.

Against the run of play, An­nan took the lead again as Dar­ren Ram­say’s shot from dis­tance caught John Gib­son off guard.

How­ever, with just over 10 min­utes left to play, Clyde equalised again. Mac­Don­ald was fouled at the edge of the box and he stepped up to put an ex­cel­lent free-kick into the net via the un­der­side of the bar.

As The Bully Wee once again pressed for a win­ner, an An­nan break­away re­sulted in them go­ing ahead for a third time – this time de­ci­sively – with a ball from the left giv­ing Rabin Omar a sight of goal and he poked the ball un­der Gib­son.

The Bully Wee host Cow­den­beath at Broad­wood this week­end (3pm kick off).

Fer­gu­son could”be with­out Jor­dan Low­don who was forced to leave the field on Satur­day with a knee in­jury fol­low­ing an awk­ward fall.

Omar the moon Rabin Omar scored An­nan’s win­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.