Barry says Brora is ‘hell of a jour­ney’

Bully Wee vist Brora in­S­cot­tish Cup

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sport -

Clyde will look to avoid an­other shock exit from the Scot­tish Cup this week­end as they make a 424 mile round-trip to Brora Rangers.

The Bully Wee visit the High­land League side on Satur­day in the first round of the com­pe­ti­tion.

And it will be Barry Fer­gu­son’s sec­ond jour­ney north in 12 months after they were dumped out at For­mar­tine United last sea­son.

Clyde travel to the vil­lage of Brora, Suther­land, on the back of a 1-0 win over Ed­in­burgh City - a re­sult that lifted them into third in the Lad­brokes League Two table.

Com­ment­ing on the cup tie, Fer­gu­son said: “Your bread and but­ter is the league, that is the main fo­cus. But ev­ery game we go into we look to win and we’ll do that next week.

“It’s a dif­fi­cult place to go and I think they’ve spent a bit of money up there as well.

“It’s one hell of a jour­ney so we might need to go up and camp the night be­fore.”

A sec­ond half goal from top scorer Sean Higgins earned The Bully Wee an im­por­tant three points at Mead­ow­bank in an unin­spir­ing League Two en­counter.

Fer­gu­son made one change to the start­ing line- up fol­low­ing the last out­ing against Ber­wick Rangers, with David Gorm­ley com­ing in for Matt Flynn.

In a first half that was lack­ing in qual­ity on a heavy pitch, there were few clear cut chances at ei­ther end. Ous­man See had the home side’s best chance, but his at­tempt to stretch and di­vert a cross to­wards goal was un­suc­cess­ful and drifted wide.

At the other end, Chris Smith couldn’t get his shot on tar­get after the ball broke to him in the box, be­fore Peter Mac­Don­ald fired a free kick over the bar from around 25 yards.

The sec­ond half saw some im­prove­ment in play, par­tic­u­larly from The Bully Wee, but John Gib­son was the first keeper called into ac­tion as he re­acted well to claw away a po­ten­tial own goal.

Scott Fer­gu­son and Matt Flynn were in­tro­duced from the bench and their fresh legs helped to push Clyde for­ward in the fi­nal quar­ter of the match, with the win­ning goal com­ing in that pe­riod. With 70 min­utes on the clock, Scott Lin­ton’s re­turn de­liv­ery into the box was headed back by Martin McNiff and Higgins was able to squeeze the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner from close range.

Gib­son made an­other good save to keep The Cit­i­zens out and Fer­gu­son came close to seal­ing the win for The Bully Wee, but he couldn’t keep his first time shot down.

In the fi­nal minute, there was a con­tested de­ci­sion against Ed­in­burgh as sub­sti­tute Craig Beat­tie headed the ball home, but the ref­eree blew for a foul against the big for­ward.

Fer­gu­son said: “It wasn’t our best per­for­mance but I’m not go­ing to stand here and kid on, I wasn’t happy.

“I’ve had no com­plaints the way we’ve played all sea­son but we didn’t play at the level we can. But the sign of a good team is when you don’t play well and you come away with three points.”

Go­ing north Clyde man­ager Barry Fer­gu­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.