Fergy de­lighted as Brora buckle

Boss chuffed with Clyde’s High­land visit

Rutherglen Reformer - - Motors -

Clyde booked their place in the third round of the Scot­tish Cup af­ter two sec­ond-half goals from Sean Hig­gins and Matthew Flynn sank Brora Ranger.

The High­land side held out for the first hour but when Hig­gins broke the dead­lock with his sev­enth goal in nine games there was only go­ing to be one win­ner.

Bully Wee man­ager Barry Fer­gu­son was de­lighted with the win and is hop­ing for a home draw in the third round.

He said: “It is a dif­fi­cult place to come, they are a good team with a lot of good play­ers and added to that it was a lengthy jour­ney and the pitch was a bit heavy, so we are de­lighted to come away with a 2-0 win.

“We were solid and we looked the more likely team to score and I thought we de­served to win the game.

“I’m happy for the group, they work re­ally hard.

“Nor­mally we like to get the ball down and play but we played a dif­fer­ent style which is not great to watch but it gets you a re­sult and it’s credit to the boys.

“But over­all we’re de­lighted to get into the next round and hope­fully we will get a home draw.”

Brora forced the first corner of the game in the third minute but Ross Tokely’s down­ward header was blocked and Paul Brindle’s fol­lowup was par­ried by Clyde goal­keeper John Gib­son.

Clyde threat­ened in the 10th minute when Paul Macdonald’s close-range header was bril­liantly saved by Rangers keeper Joe Malin.

Play was pretty even af­ter that ini­tial flurry and the near­est Brora came to a goal came in the 24th minute when Steven Ross let fly 25 yards out but his ef­fort flashed nar­rowly past Gib­son’s right-hand post.

Brindle was al­most clear on goal four min­utes later when he pounced on a flickon from Ross in the cen­tre cir­cle but Clyde’s last man Ross Perry put in a vi­tal tackle to put a stop to the move.

At the other end Scott Lin­ton forced a good save from Malin as the Bully Wee pressed for an opener.

Martin MacLean re­placed the in­jured Gavin Mor­ri­son in the heart of the Brora mid­field at the start of the sec­ond half.

The home side en­joyed a spell of pres­sure just be­fore the hour mark which ended with a Colin Williamson header dip­ping just over the cross­bar.

But it was Clyde who broke the dead­lock in the 60th minute when a Lin­ton corner was smashed home from six yards by Hig­gins.

Brora had a chance to level six min­utes later when Scott Lisle got on the end of a John Pickles cut-back but he scuffed his shot wide from 10 yards.

But the vis­i­tors se­cured the win with a goal 12 min­utes from the fi­nal whis­tle when Ewen Hall tore down the right flank and his pin­point cross was headed into the net at the near post by Flynn.

The High­land League side had a chance to pull one back in the fi­nal minute when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area but Ally MacDonald’s ef­fort flew into the Clyde wall.

The Brora Rangers man­ager, Grant Munro, was down­cast over the man­ner of his side’s de­feat.

He said: “We didn’t re­ally cause them many prob­lems. I can’t re­mem­ber their keeper hav­ing any saves to make and that was dis­ap­point­ing. We went out with a wim­per.”

Clyde en­ter­tain Stir­ling Al­bion at home in their next match.

Clyde FC lot­tery draw, Oc­to­ber 19. Num­bers: 4,10,13,19. There was no jack­pot win­ner but 13 share the £500 sec­ond prize. The jack­pot re­mains at the max­i­mum £20,000.

High­land fling Sean Hig­gins scored the opener for Clyde

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.