Glens crash out to re­silient Utd

Har­vey’s men lose lead and bow out of Scot­tish

Rutherglen Reformer - - Motors - Peter Fer­gu­son at Guy’s Meadow

Glen­cairn tum­bled out of the Scot­tish Ju­nior Cup as they let slip a lead they had held for more than an hour.

There were three changes to the start­ing line- up af­ter last week’s penalty shoot-out de­feat in the West of Scot­land Cup.

Rhys Don­ald­son re­turned at sweeper af­ter al­most two months out with a ham­string in­jury, and he re­placed Ryan Docherty who was on the sub­sti­tute bench.

Sean McGuire was called out to work, mean­ing Jor­dan Mar­shall came in to mid­field, and goal­keeper KP McAl­lis­ter re­placed un­avail­able JC Hutchi­son.

The Glens started pos­i­tively and the sec­ond minute saw Jay McKay spin away from his marker and slip a pass through to the over­lap­ping Del McNab, but home goal­keeper Conor O’Boyle raced to kick clear.

The pres­sure con­tin­ued, and Glen­cairn got their early re­ward as they cap­i­talised on a de­fen­sive er­ror to take the lead in the fourth minute.

Team an­tic­i­pated a de­fen­sive header back to O’Boyle, and drib­bled round the stop­per be­fore rolling the ball into the net from a tight an­gle.

It was his eighth goal of the sea­son in nine start­ing ap­pear­ances.

Cum­ber­nauld re­sponded with a shot from Craig John­ston but McAl­lis­ter was equal to the ef­fort and Mur­ray Loudon slipped the ball past McAl­lis­ter a minute later but Don­ald­son cut out the dan­ger.

Si­mon Ee­les was next to try his luck but his ef­fort was de­flected wide.

A ma­jor fea­ture of the first half was the at­tack­ing threat on the left of United winger John­ston, and Ste­wart Hall had a busy time as the home side re­peat­edly used John­ston as the fo­cal point of many of their at­tack­ing threats.

John­ston was al­lowed to run 40 yards with the ball be­fore fir­ing in a shot which was straight at McAl­lis­ter.

Both sides were un­changed af­ter the in­ter­val, and Glen­cairn started the sec­ond half on the front foot again, with Jor­dan Mar­shall set­ting up McNab for an an­gled shot from 16 yards which O’Boyle saved com­fort­ably.

McGre­gor’s im­pres­sive de­fen­sive per­for­mance con­tin­ued as he cleared John­ston’s shot off the line in the 53rd minute.

A minute later McAl­lis­ter atoned for an­other poor kick as he dived to his right to palm away Tiffney’s low shot from 20 yards.

Cum­ber­nauld pulled them­selves level in the 66th minute, but there was a real touch of for­tune about the goal.

A cross to the back post bounced off a United player and then hit de­fender Ryan Sul­li­van half a yard from goal, and the ball squirmed past McAl­lis­ter into the net.

Glen­cairn looked to re-es­tab­lish their lead quickly and McNab’s an­gled shot caught Mar­shall by sur­prise as the ball landed at his feet in front of goal, and the split sec­ond he had to re­act was missed as the ball flashed well wide.

United edged in front in the 75th minute as a cross from the right came over bod­ies in front of goal and found the head of Mur­ray Loudon at the back post, and his ef­fort found its way into the net al­most in slow mo­tion off the arm of McAl­lis­ter on the goal line.

The Glens went close to bag­ging an equaliser in the 84th minute as McAr­dle’s cross from the right picked out Team, and his sweet vol­ley was well blocked on the goal line by the div­ing O’Boyle. Ruther­glen Glen­cairn: McAl­lis­ter, Hall, Eadie (Hamil­ton), Don­ald­son, McGre­gor, Mar­shall (Cullen), McNab ( McAr­dle), Hunter, Team, Fraser, McKay.

In the air Craig McGre­gor in dom­i­nant de­fen­sive ac­tion for Ruther­glen Glen­cairn; Del McNab drives for­ward in a first half at­tack, be­low

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.