McColl’s men suf­fer cup KO in the first round

Rutherglen Reformer - - Motors -

C’lang Gers......1 L’gelly Al­bert...2

Cam­bus­lang Rangers were knocked out of the Scot­tish Ju­nior Cup at the first hur­dle af­ter a shock 2- 1 de­feat to Lochgelly Al­bert.

The vis­i­tors from Fife ar­rived at Somervell with few peo­ple giv­ing them any chance of pro­gress­ing to the third round.

But it was an all-round poor per­for­mance from the hosts, de­spite tak­ing the lead early on.

The vis­i­tors hit back and looked the hun­grier as Lang failed to hit the heights of late.

Man­ager Paul McColl made no fewer than six changes to his start­ing line-up.

Out went Mark Bishop, Thomas Kil­martin, Jamie Macleod, Iain Ste­wart, Hal Bohme, and Ryan McBeth.

Com­ing in to re­place them were Bob David­son, Colin Nolan, Jor­dan Brand, Dy­lan Hendry, Kieran Chalmers and Colin Boy­lan. The fresh faces should have been good enough to see off Al­bert, but it was one of those games where noth­ing came off for the hosts.

Things started well for Cam­bus­lang and they opened the scor­ing af­ter seven min­utes.

Gorm­ley latched onto the through pass from Dale Simeon and coolly slot­ted the ball home.

That was as good as it got for The Lang as they huffed and puffed their way through the rest of the half, with few chances cre­ated for Gorm­ley and co up front.

The vis­i­tors were level mid­way through the first half when a poor punch by keeper Brand al­lowed Scott Gib­son time and space to pick his spot from eight yards out.

The home side came out in the sec­ond half with no changes, which sur­prised a few in the stands as there was no cre­ativ­ity from the Lang mid­field.

One of their best ef­forts of the half came from Boy­lan, but he fired inches over from 18 yards. A change did come on 55 min­utes when Kieran Chalmers made way for Macleod, but the in­jec­tion of some width failed to al­ter the pat­tern of play.

On the hour mark a great header by David­son was su­perbly saved by Wil­son. This was Lang’s best spell of the game and they later rat­tled the post with Dale Simeon’s ef­fort.

But the spell of pres­sure was short lived and the vis­i­tors grabbed what turned out to be the win­ner on 65 min­utes.

A sim­ple pass into the area was met by Al­bert sub John Fer­gu­son who volleyed home from close range.

Macleod went close to grab­bing the equaliser had it not been for Wil­son’s smart save, but things got worse for Cam­bus­lang when Hal­l­i­day re­ceived a sec­ond book­ing and was sent for an early bath.

The vis­i­tors could have sealed it when their striker hit the post from two yards out but they held on for a de­served vic­tory and an en­joy­able bus trip home.

Cam­bus­lang: Brand, Geb­bie, Hal­i­day, Kerr, Nolan (Kil­martin 75), Boy­lan, Chalmers (Macleod 55), Dale Simeon, David­son, Gorm­ley, Hendry (Bohme).

Shock de­feat Cam­bus­lang were out-done by a de­ter­mined Al­bert side

Close Sub Jamie Macleod is de­nied by Wil­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.