Glen­cairn stunned by late fight­back

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Glen­cairn’s year ended on a dis­ap­point­ing note as a sec­ond-half hor­ror show by both the team and the ref­eree re­sulted in a two-goal half-time lead be­ing turned into a 3-2 de­feat.

Both sides were un­der­stand­ably un­der-strength due to the time of year, with play­ers away on hol­i­day and also nurs­ing in­juries. The Glens were miss­ing Stewart Hall, An­thony Dempsey, Rhys Don­ald­son and Fraser Team due to in­jury, while Ryan Docherty, Brian Eadie, Alan Muir and Jor­dan Mar­shall were also un­avail­able.

That meant a call-up to the squad for two mem­bers of the un­der-21 squad, with a start­ing place for mid­fielder Njabulo Ndlovu and a place on the sub­sti­tutes’bench for An­ton Phinn.

It took Glen­cairn less than two min­utes to take the lead. Jay McKay showed great trick­ery wide on the right to turn away from his marker and head along the by­line. He rolled the ball into the path of Njabulo Ndlovu, who fired a pre­cise shot into the net.

Glen­cairn in­creased their lead in the 25th minute when Hunter’s ball to McKay saw the striker turn and shoot. He pulled his shot but first to re­act was Paddy Cullen who slot­ted past McWil­liams.

Glen­cairn took the op­por­tu­nity of half-time to make all the avail­able six changes to the line-up and the change in for­tunes that was about to come was quite re­mark­able. A match which had seem­ingly been com­fort­able for The Glens at the break was about to turn com­pletely on its head.

The 63rd minute saw the start of the Greenock come­back. Craig Brown looked at least six yards off­side as he was re­leased through on goal to score.

Greenock sensed that The Glens had not set­tled af­ter this set­back and they took the op­por­tu­nity to equalise only two min­utes later. Pa­ton did well to hold off his marker and turn the ball across goal where Stephen Dal­las was wait­ing to fire into the net.

The whistler con­tin­ued to be the cen­tre of at­ten­tion in the 68th minute as he flashed a straight red card to Pa­ton for what ap­peared to be dis­sent.

Pa­ton had been in a tus­sle for pos­ses­sion with Brown and a foul had been awarded against the Greenock man, despite him emerg­ing from the tus­sle with a blood­ied nose.

With 15 min­utes re­main­ing, the ref­eree pointed to the penalty spot. Dal­las went down in the penalty area as he ran in be­hind a turn­ing Brown. Colin Gailey fired the kick into the roof of the net to put his side 3-2 ahead.

As­sist Striker Jay McKay

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.