Spi­ders and Ayr are in­sep­a­ra­ble

Queen’s force re­play in cup fourth round

Rutherglen Reformer - - Clyde -

Gus MacPher­son hailed his young Spi­ders as they al­most pulled off a Scot­tish Cup shock at Som­er­set Park.

The in-form League One side bossed their Cham­pi­onship op­po­nents but couldn’t break the dead­lock in the fourth-round tie.

They were set to do it all again last night (Tues­day) at Ham­p­den in the re­play af­ter the Re­former went to print.

Af­ter the week­end’s clash, MacPher­son said: “We played well against a very ex­pe­ri­enced team in ev­ery depart­ment and the boys didn’t look out of place.

“That’s the chal­lenge and they are as­pir­ing to show peo­ple what they are ca­pa­ble of and com­pete at a higher level.

He added: “It was a good cup tie and I thought we played well. It was tight and prob­a­bly de­served to go to a sec­ond game.

“The teams were evenly matched and it was go­ing to take a bit of magic or a mis­take to de­cide it.”

Queen’s were first to go close with five min­utes on the clock when Jamie McKer­non swung the ball in from a cor­ner which was met by the head of Ryan McGeever.

His ef­fort beat keeper Greg Fleming, but was scram­bled away by the de­fence.

The Spi­ders had the next en­try in the note­book as well, and this time it was Paul Woods. He found him­self in a bit of space in­side the box and although his shot was on tar­get, it was well taken by Fleming.

Wil­liam Muir had been largely un­trou­bled in the Queen’s goal, but had to be quick off his line af­ter 16 min­utes as Devlin threat­ened. And the keeper then touched over a Gary Harkins thun­der­bolt, be­fore com­ing to claim the re­sul­tant cor­ner.

Harkins and Rob­bie Craw­ford were at the heart of most of the Hon­est Men’s best mo­ments. Five min­utes from the break, a Harkins cross found McKenna’s head, but Muir was up to the task.

The keeper was then res­cued by Whar­ton who pro­duced a great block from a goal­bound Craw­ford ef­fort.

The gen­eral con­sen­sus was that Queen’s had more than held their own in the first 45, which pro­duced enough in­ci­dent to keep the 1326 spec­ta­tors in­ter­ested.

Much of the sec­ond pe­riod was a dull af­fair, but Queen’s en­joyed their best mo­ment of the half as they en­tered the fi­nal 20 min­utes, when a McKer­non free-kick was sliced wildly be­hind by McKenna as it flew into the box.

The cor­ner was also bang on the money, but the keeper’s pro­tec­tion so­ci­ety swung into ac­tion and ref­eree Cook awarded Ayr a foul for a “chal­lenge” on Fleming.

The Spi­ders al­most snatched the lead from an­other cor­ner. This time it was Burns who swung the ball in, and Fleming was mighty re­lieved when it glanced off the wood­work.

Harkins missed a chance to avoid a re­play in in­jury time af­ter a mis­take by Muir and McGeever but he failed to con­vert.

Heads Adam Cum­mins beats Gary Harkins and team­mate Sean Burns to the ball

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.