Spi­ders held to draw at Methil

Stub­born Fifers see QP tie fifth in a row

Rutherglen Reformer - - Motoring Guide -

Queens Park boss Gus MacPher­son paid trib­ute to the bat­tling qual­i­ties of his side af­ter watch­ing them draw their fifth game in a row.

The Spi­ders gaffer praised his de­ter­mined side, who held East Fife to a goal­less draw at the Bayview Sta­dium.

It was not a clas­sic by any means but MacPher­son was glad to see the play­ers give a good ac­count of them­selves.

He said: “The play­ers have shown they don’t want to get beaten. Last week at Al­loa we hung in and got a goal in the 94th minute. It shows what the play­ers are all about.

“There’s plenty to be pleased about, tak­ing a draw from East Fife, and keep­ing a clean sheet is an­other bonus for us.”

It was a nervy af­ter­noon, with both teams hav­ing chances to win it but nei­ther able to find the killer touch.

Af­ter the late drama of last week MacPher­son made just one change to the start­ing 11, bring­ing back An­ton Brady for Do­minic Docherty.

The first chance of the game fell the way of the home side, with the im­pres­sive Scott Robin­son weav­ing through be­fore fir­ing a warn­ing shot nar­rowly wide with just a cou­ple of min­utes on the clock.

Things got scrappy at this stage, with nei­ther side able to string any passes to­gether, but Queen’s did liven pro­ceed­ings up as the first quar­ter of an hour passed. Firstly David Galt had a shot well saved by Mark Hurst be­fore Brady went close with a cross-shot.

As half-time ap­proached Dario Zanatta pounced on a mis­take by Chris Kane and bore down on goal. He lost con­trol at the vi­tal mo­ment, how­ever, and the de­fender man­aged to get a toe on the ball. Sean Burns fol­lowed up and saw his shot de­flected for a cor­ner.

Queen’s came out the blocks well at the start of the sec­ond pe­riod and Galt twice went near to break­ing the dead­lock be­fore Brady also tested Hurst.

Wil­lie Muir was the hero for the Spi­ders as the first hour came and went, pro­duc­ing a stun­ning dou­ble save. First he beat away a shot from Kevin Smith and then bounced up to palm away a fol­low-up header from Alex Cooper.

The fi­nal 20 min­utes saw the vis­i­tors turn up the heat with­out find­ing the goal they might have felt they de­served.

The home team had their mo­ments as well, no­tably when Chris Dug­gan led a counter and Ryan McGeever had to get the tim­ing right with his tackle.

Conor McVey had a chance for glory when he picked up the re­bound from a Zanatta shot but the mid­fielder blasted over.

There was just time for Galt and Brady to raise hopes of a dra­matic fi­nale but there was no late goal this week.

Queen’s were set to play Al­bion Rovers last night (Tues­day) and host Peter­head this week­end.

Push­ing for­ward David Galt en­ters the East Fife box

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.