Su­per Dario nets to sink Blue Toon

MacPher­son de­lighted to end draw run

Rutherglen Reformer - - Sports -

Gus MacPher­son hailed his side’s per­for­mance as they broke their run of six draws on the bounce with a 2-0 win against Peter­head.

A fine first-half strike from Dario Zanatta and a Ryan McGeever ef­fort af­ter the break was enough to se­cure the points for the Spi­ders.

The re­sult lifts the Ham­p­den Park side to within two points of the third play-off spot, cur­rently oc­cu­pied by Brechin City.

MacPher­son said: “The dif­fer­ence was that bit of qual­ity from Zanatta. It set­tled us down be­cause we were on edge at the start.

“But we’ve shown what a good group we are. It’s credit to their com­mit­ment and de­sire and they get the re­sult.”

MacPher­son was forced into changes, with Jamie McKer­non sus­pended and Ross Millen and Conor McVey miss­ing af­ter limp­ing off against Albion Rovers last Tues­day.

There was an early scare for Queen’s, with Wil­lie Muir drop­ping a sim­ple cross from Grant An­der­son be­fore re­cov­er­ing to save at Jor­dan Brown’s feet.

Muir was cer­tainly the busier keeper but it was all through his own do­ing. In 12 min­utes he was too ca­sual with a kick-out and it was blocked by the en­er­getic An­der­son but, for­tu­nately for Queen’s, the ball re­bounded to a home shirt to be cleared.

The home fans were on their feet on 29 min­utes when Queen’s took a cru­cial lead with a mag­nif­i­cent goal. Re­mark­ably, it was their first strike against Blue Toon this sea­son and it was well worth the wait.

Ryan McGeever calmly pulled down the ball in the cen­tre cir­cle and pushed it out to Sean Burns, who de­liv­ered a splen­did pin­point pass to Zanatta.

The young Cana­dian con­trolled it in the box and ap­peared to be turn­ing away from goal but he sud­denly spun and crashed a su­per right-foot shot that burst past Fraser Hob­day high into the net.

Rory McAl­lis­ter had the ball in the net in 53 min­utes but the flag had been raised for off­side.

Queen’s quiet open­ing to the sec­ond pe­riod fi­nally sparked into life a minute later. Again, it was the Burns-Zanatta com­bi­na­tion as the striker col­lected a pass and drove into the box on the left be­fore a low shot aimed at the far post beat Hob­day and also MacPher­son as it slid ag­o­nis­ingly past the up­right.

Queen’s found the net for a sec­ond time on 72 min­utes. The com­bat­ive Kalvin Orsi won a cor­ner on the left. It was cleared back out to the sub striker, who thrashed a low shot to­wards the far post and the div­ing Hob­day could only parry the ball into the path of McGeever, leav­ing the big skip­per with a tap-in.

Peter­head boss Jim McI­nally said: “I don’t think we de­served to lose the game but it’s a three way bat­tle for sur­vival now. It’s four cup fi­nals left for us.”

Won­der strike Dario Zanatta is con­grat­u­lated on his goal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.