Wee Gers grab point in dy­ing sec­onds

Rutherglen Reformer - - Juniors - Mur­ray Spooner

Cam­bus­lang Rangers man­ager Paul McColl praised his play­ers’ spir­ited come­back on Satur­day but in­sists it was made a lot harder by a “cat­a­logue of blun­ders” from the ref­eree.

The man in the mid­dle failed to spot four in­ci­dents in the box that could have war­ranted The Lang a penalty, ac­cord­ing to the Somervell Park boss.

And to add in­sult to in­jury, striker John Gem­mell, who net­ted a dra­matic last-minute win­ning header, was on the end of some un­sport­ing be­hav­iour from some of the United play­ers through­out the 90 min­utes.

McColl said: “We should have had four penal­ties. You would have taken one of them but [the ref­eree] never gave any.

“One of their boys has even punched the ball in the box. It’s the same old poor de­ci­sions.

“It was a to­tal cat­a­logue of blun­ders – we don’t seem to be get­ting any luck with ref­er­ees.

“But we came back and Gem­mell got the equaliser. It was a great goal he scored.

“The thing was, he was get­ting as­saulted the whole game.

“He was kicked and punched but be­cause he’s six foot five the ref­er­ees just think he’ll be okay. Then he gets booked for com­plain­ing.

“I’m not say­ing they were a dirty team but I’ve never seen any­thing like it.

“Credit to him he didn’t moan too much about it but I think he got a bit

fed up with it all and he even had to get the physio on to look at his in­juries.”

Dale Simeon got Cam­bus­lang off to a great start in­side 11 min­utes on the bob­bly sur­face at Robertson Park.

A long goal-kick from Iain Ste­wart was flicked on by Gem­mell for the in­flu­en­tial at­tacker who brought the ball down on his knee, turned and beat two de­fend­ers in the box be­fore fir­ing into the keeper’s bot­tom left-hand cor­ner.

Pet­ti­grew got United back into the game six min­utes later when his de­flected ef­fort rolled past scram­bling Lang keeper Iain Ste­wart.

Dis­as­ter then struck for the vis­i­tors when Mark Bishop mist­imed his jump for a high cross and Dar­ren Bowie was on hand to strike the ball on the bounce past Ste­wart from close range.

As the Wee Gers pushed for an equaliser, Thorniewood ex­posed the gaps in the op­po­si­tion de­fence. Bowie was find­ing joy down the right wing and caused McColl’s men prob­lems with crosses into the box.

Another mist­imed header let Keigan Parker in on goal but he shot wide af­ter be­ing put un­der pres­sure from a de­fender.

Ste­wart then came to Lang’s res­cue in a one-on-one sit­u­a­tion and raced from his line to clear.

Mat­ters for Cam­bus­lang got worse on 86 min­utes as Bowie con­verted another cross from the right wing.

But an en­thralling fi­nal few min­utes saw the boys in blue sal­vage an un­likely point. Firstly, Robert Hal­l­i­day’s high ball in to the box was flicked on by Thomas Kil­martin and headed into his own net by Dar­ren Fer­gu­son. And a foul on Gers’ Hal Bohme in the Thorniewood half led to a free-kick which was punted into the penalty area.

Gem­mell met it with a div­ing header that found the back of the net to en­sure the Wee Gers had fought back from 3-1 down to draw for the sec­ond week run­ning.

“It was a bit dra­matic at the end,” said McColl. “The parks are re­ally hard at this time of the sea­son and they’re re­ally bob­bly. The park didn’t suit either team.

“The goals we lost were dis­ap­point­ing and it could have been more if it hadn’t been for Iain Ste­wart.

“We were down and out with five min­utes to go so fair play to the boys the way they came back.”

In­flu­en­tialDale Simeon scored Cam­bus­lang’s open­ing goal in the dra­matic 3-3 draw

Two to go Man­ager Paul McColl and coach­ing staff

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.