Jay strike too lit­tle, too late

Rutherglen Reformer - - Juniors - Peter Fer­gu­son at Cel­sius Sta­dium

The Glens stum­bled out of the Cen­tral League Cup in the third round with a dis­jointed dis­play against Cen­tral District First side St Roch’s.

The tone of the first half last Wed­nes­day night was set very early on as the vis­i­tors pressed high up the park and Glen­cairn’s pass­ing seemed to be lethar­gic and sloppy.

Jor­dan Logan fired a shot straight at JC Hutchi­son af­ter dis­pos­sess­ing Alan Muir in the 11th minute. And se­conds later Hutchi­son had to palm a shot by Martin Shiels round the post af­ter the ball was given away cheaply again.

It came as no sur­prise when St Roch’s fi­nally pun­ished Glen­cairn’s lapses as they took the lead in the 20th minute.

Jor­dan Logan found space in the penalty area and fired against the cross­bar, only for the ball to re­bound off Andy Neil and into his own net.

There were hints as half-time ap­proached that Glen­cairn were be­gin­ning to set­tle in to the game. Muir’s free-kick was knocked over the bar and the vis­it­ing de­fence threw bod­ies in the way to stop Ste­wart Hall scor­ing from in­side the box.

The Glens re-emerged for the sec­ond half with the same per­son­nel but with a bit of added pace and at­ti­tude.

Craig John­ston cre­ated a golden chance for Glen­cairn to equalise in the 49th minute. His run and pass set up Alessan­dro Savarese with only Aedan Hous­ton to beat – but the young keeper made an ex­cel­lent block with his foot.

The slack pass­ing had not been erad­i­cated, though, and St Roch’s pounced again in the 51st minute when Jor­dan Hals­man fired just wide.

There was con­tro­versy in the 63rd minute when Paddy Cullen was hauled down in the box but the ref pointed for a cor­ner kick.

The Glens hopes of a come­back were dis­ap­pear­ing rapidly in the 71st minute as St Roch’s dou­bled their lead from a break­away. The dan­ger looked to have been cleared but Hall hes­i­tated with his clearance and al­lowed Logan to nip in to stab the ball home.

Sub Jay McKay scored a su­perb goal two min­utes in to added time but it was not enough for the Glens to sal­vage any­thing from the match.

Con­so­la­tion Jay McKay came off the bench to score for The Glens

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.