Warning overkids’ fidget spinners
South Lanarkshire trading Standards (SLTS) has warned residents in Rutherglen and Cambuslang to make sure their kids’ fidget spinners are safe.
The popular toys are the latest craze but trading standards officers have warned that, as with all toys, levels of safety can vary widely.
A statement from SLTS said: “A fidget spinner should bear the CE mark, and details of the importer to show it has been tested for safety. Unfortunately it seems that in a lot of cases this has not happened.
“Significant concerns raised with trading standards across the country include parts becoming loose or detached, posing a choking hazard.
“Where button cell batteries are included (in some light up models) little fingers can get into them if they are not properly secured. Swallowing a button cell batteries can be lifethreatening, and will require immediate medical attention.
“Tests have shown that some of these models can also contain very high levels of lead and even mercury.”