Mum wants others to be aware of danger
A Burnside mum is warning others to be aware after she suffered horror burns when a water bottle burst over her.
Paula McNee, who suffers from fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain all over the body, was in bed recuperating from illness when the incident happened.
Boiling hot water splashed on her bare stomach and legs, leaving her with second degree burns.
She was attended by her husband, Paddy, and next door neighbour, who is a paramedic, before going to Glasgow’s Royal Infirmary the next day.
Thirty-nineyear-old Paula has since found out that water bottles should be binned after two years. Admitting she was relieved it did not happen to her daughters Molly, 6, or Chloe, 15 - she said: “I am absolutely grateful it happened to me rather than one of them. “It was so sore, I was squealing like a baby. “It was like a shock to the system. I don’t know quite how to describe it. It was like a pain I had never felt before. “I went into a cold bath and that was even worse. It’s a pain that makes you feel physically sick. “Because of my fibromyalgia, I am lost without heat. I think I’ll get a heat pad now though. “They reckon I am going to have a scar on my stomach but it could have been a lot worse.”
Paula had no idea water bottles had a limited lifespan and warned parents they should check their own stock to make sure their children are not in danger.
“Because the bottle is made of rubber, if you don’t use it over the summer it dries out and cracks,” she said. “They should only be used for about two years. That’s something I never knew before.
“This wasn’t a case of the lid falling off, it had actually split. This bottle was about six years old.
“I want to get the safety aspect of this across for parents. The doctor who treated me said it was a common injury, they see it every day.
“Apparently you are meant to put cling film on it if it happens.”
Paula was only able to take one day off from her job running Kinder Handl, a social enterprise toy shop based in Mount Florida.
She added: “All the volunteers have been fantastic, they have been amazing. My husband as well was amazing and my neighbour was fantastic.”
Warning Paula McNee wants others to learn from her own incident