Man de­nies at­tempted mur­der of girl­friend’s son at her home

South Wales Echo - - NEWS -

A MAN stabbed his girl­friend’s sleep­ing son 18 times and said voices in his head told him to carry out the at­tack, a court was told.

An­drew Burvill, 35, of Bre­con, Powys, was found cov­ered in blood by his mother at her home in Merthyr Tyd­fil fol­low­ing the at­tack on March 21 this year, Merthyr Tyd­fil Crown Court heard.

Robert Jones, 46, of Merthyr Tyd­fil, was on med­i­ca­tion for para­noid schizophre­nia and had formed no in­ten­tion to kill Mr Burvill, the court heard.

Jones de­nies at­tempted mur­der but has ad­mit­ted caus­ing griev­ous bod­ily harm.

The jury heard how Jones loved Mr Burvill “like a son” and the pair were close friends and drink­ing part­ners.

But he be­gan be­hav­ing oddly in the weeks lead­ing up to the at­tack and was con­vinced peo­ple were try­ing to poi­son him.

Prose­cu­tor Pa­trick Har­ring­ton said: “Jones took a kitchen knife and went to a bed­room where Mr Burvill was sleep­ing.”

He said: “For a mo­ment he thought Jones was mess­ing around – he wasn’t.

“His prin­ci­ple tar­get was one of the most vul­ner­a­ble parts of the body, his head.

“But he was also stabbed to the back of the neck, the chest and to his left leg.”

The court heard Jones’ face was “ex­pres­sion­less and blank” through­out the at­tack.

Speak­ing about Mr Burvill, Mr Har­ring­ton said: “His mother found him and said he looked like some­thing from a hor­ror show.

“Neigh­bours came in to help her staunch the flow of blood with tow­els and Mr Burvill told them: ‘Help me boys I’m dy­ing.’

“But for the prompt min­is­tra­tions of paramedics, doc­tors, nurses and sur­geons, Mr Burvill would have died.”

The court was told an am­bu­lance ran out of dress­ings to treat his wounds, in­clud­ing one close to his heart. Mr Burvill spent 10 weeks in hos­pi­tal and still suf­fers from flash­backs and night­mares.

He told the court: “He just kept on stab­bing and stab­bing, he was like a ma­niac try­ing to kill me.

“I can re­mem­ber be­ing in the am­bu­lance and telling my­self: “Stay awake, stay awake.

“It was a shock, there were no mo­tives, there was no rea­son.”

The court heard Mr Jones’ part­ner of five years Gaynor Burvill and her son were aware of his men­tal ill­ness.

Af­ter his ar­rest Jones told po­lice: “I hear voices and I fol­low them. I’m schizo, it’s my ill­ness.

“I heard voices for 10 min­utes be­fore get­ting the knife from the kitchen. The voices said: ‘Kill him.’”

Giv­ing ev­i­dence through a video link, Gaynor Burvill said her son and her part­ner were “the best of friends” be­fore the knife at­tack.

She told the jury: “In the weeks be­fore he started act­ing strange, he thought we were poi­son­ing his food and cof­fee.

“On the night be­fore the at­tack he was check­ing around the house and look­ing out­side.

“He was telling me: ‘I’ve got to keep you safe.’”

Miss Burvill said the next morn­ing Jones came to­wards her with a knife in his hand.

The court heard she thought she was go­ing to be at­tacked but “emerged un­scathed” and was able to call an am­bu­lance for her wounded son.

The court heard para­medic Mark Ivey was first on the scene.

Prose­cu­tor Mr Har­ring­ton said: “Mr Ivey has been in the pro­fes­sion for many years and it has been his sad mis­for­tu­nate to at­tend the scenes of many stab­bings.

“He was shocked by what con­fronted him that day.”

Jones’ de­fence lawyers ar­gue that due to his ill­ness he lacked the spe­cific in­tent to com­mit the of­fence of at­tempted mur­der.

Two con­sul­tant psy­chi­a­trists are due to give ev­i­dence in the trial which is ex­pected to last a week.

The trial con­tin­ues.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.