Spoon used to try to gouge out eye

South Wales Echo - - NEWS -

A MAN tried to gouge his friend’s eye out with a spoon, a court heard.

Jamie Orr tried to put the spoon into his friend’s left eye socket af­ter he fell asleep on the sofa.

The 41-year-old, who had been drink­ing and taken crack co­caine, then at­tacked his part­ner when she tried to in­ter­vene, leav­ing her with a bite mark and bruis­ing to her face and arm.

The court heard Ed­win Bratcher suf­fered “very se­ri­ous” in­juries, in­clud­ing ex­ten­sive bruis­ing and swelling to his face for which he needed hos­pi­tal treat­ment.

In a vic­tim im­pact state­ment read to Cardiff Crown Court, Mr Brancher said: “I awoke to him punch­ing me in the face over and over again.

“He got a spoon and started putting it in my left eye socket, like he was try­ing to gouge my eye.”

The court heard Mr Bratcher man­aged to prise the spoon out of his grip and throw it away.

“The whole in­ci­dent has made me scared, as it was com­pletely un­pro­voked and out of the blue. It has scared me that any­one is ca­pa­ble of do­ing this,” he added.

The in­ci­dent hap­pened in the flat of Orr’s girl­friend Anne-Marie Wal­ters on Ted­der Close in Llan­ishen, Cardiff, on the af­ter­noon of Fe­bru­ary 20.

Ju­lian Green­wood, pros­e­cut­ing, said the three were friends at the time and had been drink­ing to­gether.

Prose­cu­tors said Ms Wal­ters went for a shower, leav­ing her friend asleep on the sofa, then re­turned to find her part­ner at­tack­ing him.

Prose­cu­tors said that af­ter at­tack­ing Mr Bratcher, Orr then went to the kitchen and got a knife. He as­saulted Ms Wal­ters when she tried to in­ter­vene.

In a state­ment given to po­lice on the day, she said: “I don’t know how I am going to get over this. I feel like my world has come crash­ing down. I am scared to go back to my flat.”

The court heard Orr would not let po­lice into the flat and an of­fi­cer had to en­ter us­ing a shield to pro­tect him­self.

Prose­cu­tors said the de­fen­dant con­tin­ued to re­sist and po­lice had to use a Taser to bring him un­der con­trol.

The court heard he was pre­vi­ously jailed in Oc­to­ber 2015 for 16 months for as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm in­volv­ing a samu­rai sword.

Prose­cu­tors said he was with a group of friends in Ely and there was a samu­rai sword hang­ing on the wall. He at­tacked a friend, who suf­fered an in­jury to his head.

Orr, from Fitzha­mon Em­bank­ment in River­side, Cardiff, ad­mit­ted two counts of as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm.

His bar­ris­ter said he may have been driven by jeal­ousy and had no mem­ory of the in­ci­dent.

The court heard he is now on med­i­ca­tion for psy­chosis.

Orr was jailed for 20 months and a six-year re­strain­ing or­der was im­posed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.