An­other try fest as red hot Greens hit top form

Southport Visiter - - Family Health - CLITHEROE ........................................... 0 ORM­SKIRK .......................................... 71


FOL­LOW­ING last week’s try fest win against Ea­gle, Orm­skirk trav­elled to Clitheroe on Satur­day ea­ger to main­tain their good run of form, al­ways a tough place to play, com­pla­cency was not on the cards.

Orm­skirk were quickly into their stride as they con­tested an early Clitheroe ruck.

Cen­tre Jake Hod­son turned over the ball and set off, ghost­ing through the home de­fences to within five me­tres of the line where an off load to back row Tom Owens brought the first score, con­verted by winger Matt White.

This early 0-7 score set the vis­i­tors up for what was to be a dom­i­nant first half dis­play of clin­i­cal at­tack­ing rugby.

Two fur­ther try scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties went beg­ging due to a for­ward pass and a dou­ble move­ment on the ground, be­fore Jake Hod­son once again showed his class with a trade­mark silky run that lead to num­ber eight Lee Ar­row­smith in­creas­ing the score to 0-12.

The foun­da­tions for the at­tack­ing flair were be­ing laid by Orm­skirk’s strong de­fen­sive qual­i­ties which nul­li­fied Clitheroe’s big for­ward’s drives.

Any mis­takes by the home side were quickly pounced upon and turned into at­tack­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties.

A 60 me­tre clear­ing kick by Alan Sin­na­mon put Clitheroe on the back foot as it rolled into touch five me­tres from their line.

The home side then gave away a free kick for an in­fringe­ment at the re­sult­ing line out, Orm­skirk took full ad­van­tage by tak­ing it quickly for full back Alan Sin­na­mon to cross the line, 0-19 with the Matt White con­ver­sion.

Orm­skirk con­tin­ued to press home their ad­van­tage, straight from the restart the for­wards went through a num­ber of phases of tak­ing the ball into con­tact and com­mit­ting in­creas­ing num­bers of Clitheroe play­ers to the break­down.

Ar­row­smith broke through the weak­ened de­fen­sive line with a strong charge and strode the re­main­ing 50 me­tres to dot the ball down un­der the posts, a sim­ple White con­ver­sion fol­lowed.

A 0-26 lead and fourth try bonus point gained within the first 20 min­utes could have seen a fall-off in in­ten­sity from Orm­skirk, but this pos­si­bil­ity was quickly dis­pelled as again, from the restart, they were smartly on the front foot. A strong surge by sec­ond row Steve Rouke gained large me­tres and quickly re­cy­cled ball from the sup­port­ing for­wards ended in the hands of cen­tre and skip­per Mike Knowles to break the rapidly re­treat­ing Clitheroe de­fences, 0-33 af­ter White added the ex­tras. Clitheroe were un­able to cope with Orm­skirk’s at­tack­ing flair, de­spite their gal­lant de­fen­sive ef­forts and force­ful tack­ling, the vis­i­tors were not to be de­nied. Knowles again broke the de­fen­sive line to put Hod­son over the white­wash, he then quickly dou­bled his try count af­ter a good backs han­dling dis­play and as half time came, winger Dave Web­ster got him­self on the score­sheet.

With White con­vert­ing all three of these tries, the in­ter­val score of 0-54 was im­pres­sive.

It would not have been sur­pris­ing if Orm­skirk’s lev­els fell off af­ter such a good first pe­riod and Clitheroe were sure to be mo­ti­vated into a bet­ter dis­play af­ter the restart.

Sure enough, Clitheroe be­gan by try­ing to be ad­ven­tur­ous and run the ball wide through the backs, Orm­skirk’s de­fen­sive line was up to the task and re­pelled these early home for­ays.

A long clear­ance kick from Clitheroe ran over the dead ball line in the strong breeze re­sult­ing in an Orm­skirk scrum back on the edge of the home 22.

Again on the front foot, Orm­skirk showed their lev­els were good enough as back row Tom Owens in­creased the score to 0-59 with a try in the left cor­ner.

Clitheroe were be­ing shown no lee­way by the vis­i­tors as at the tackle area Orm­skirk were quick to get their hands on the ball and cre­ate turnovers, snuff­ing out any op­por­tu­ni­ties they may have had for a score.

Ten­sions were mount­ing in the Clitheroe ranks and one of their for­wards was yel­low carded for stamp­ing in the ruck.

A hope­ful long kick from Clitheroe failed to find touch and was run back by Orm­skirk from deep in their own half.

The for­wards again were clin­i­cal in go­ing through their drive phases and as the ball moved left a spec­u­la­tive kick for­ward was col­lected by the Clitheroe full back, only to be tack­led and pushed back into his in-goal area.

An at­tack­ing Orm­skirk five me­tre scrum was won and Hod­son took the ball on the crash un­der the posts to earn his hat-trick try, 0-66 fol­low­ing the White con­ver­sion.

Af­ter a fra­cas amongst the for­wards Steve Rouke was yel­low carded by the ref­eree for re­tal­i­a­tion and sent to the sin bin for the re­main­der of the game.

Orm­skirk were to have the last say in the pro­ceed­ings as the ball was moved ef­fi­ciently through the hands of the backs and Hod­son smoothly scored his fourth try of the game.

The re­sult­ing 0-71 fi­nal score, in­clud­ing eleven tries, was an em­phatic dis­play by this Orm­skirk side, who at the mo­ment are scor­ing tries for fun.

Will they con­tinue in the same man­ner over the com­ing games?

Come down to Green Lane next Satur­day and see when North Manch­ester are the vis­i­tors, kick-off at 2.15pm, all are wel­come.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.