Thug breaks part­ner’s nose

But re­la­tion­ship is‘blos­som­ing’

Stirling Observer - - FRONT PAGE - Court re­porter

A man who left his part­ner re­quir­ing hospi­tal treat­ment af­ter a vi­cious as­sault in a Stir­ling ho­tel told a court his re­la­tion­ship is“blos­som­ing” be­fore be­ing ad­mon­ished.

David McKay (41) at­tacked the woman by punch­ing her on the head and kick­ing and push­ing her on the body dur­ing a blaz­ing row at Ho­tel Co­lessio on Spit­tal Street.

The woman was left with a bro­ken nose, a bruised head and back and a cut ear af­ter the alarm­ing or­deal on Oc­to­ber 24 last year.

How­ever, when McKay, of Nel­fred Ter­race, In­verurie, ap­peared at Stir­ling Sher­iff Court on Wed­nes­day morn­ing he was al­lowed to walk free due to the fact he has been of good be­hav­iour ever since.

Fis­cal de­pute Adrian Fraser ex­plained that McKay and his girl­friend, who have been in a re­la­tion­ship for 15 years, booked them­selves into the ho­tel in a bid to work on their re­la­tion­ship and iron out some is­sues.

He said: “At around 10pm the ac­cused and com­plainer were drink­ing in the ho­tel bar and an ar­gu­ment started. At this point the com­plainer went to bed while the ac­cused went out to a nearby li­censed premises.”

The court heard that, hav­ing con­sumed more al­co­hol, McKay re­turned to the ho­tel in the early hours of the morn­ing. At this point an­other ar­gu­ment broke out and wit­nesses in an ad­ja­cent room re­ported hear­ing items be­ing thrown, a woman shout­ing and a num­ber of loud bangs.

Mr Fraser added: “Wit­nesses went to the room and the door was knocked. The ac­cused ap­peared and seemed to be up­set and cry­ing. The com­plainer ap­peared to be ag­gres­sive while the ac­cused packed up his prop­erty.”

The vic­tim was at this point taken to hospi­tal and found to have a nasal frac­ture, bruis­ing to her scalp and back and a cut to her ear.

McKay was de­tained by po­lice and in­ter­viewed. He told of­fi­cers that the com­plainer was his girl­friend and that she didn’t trust him as he had been away work­ing in China.

He said that she had been “nip­ping” him and that he told her to be quiet, and that she had be­come an­gry upon his re­turn and at­tacked him.

Mr Fraser said: “He said that he was so em­bar­rassed and that if he hadn’t let her get so drunk this wouldn’t have hap­pened.”

McKay, de­fend­ing him­self in the dock, told the court: “We are still in a re­la­tion­ship and we plan to get mar­ried. I am deeply sorry about this – it was an iso­lated case, a sorry saga.

“I have re­cently had a pro­mo­tion at work. My ca­reer is blos­som­ing and I be­lieve the re­la­tion­ship is con­tin­u­ing to blos­som. I am sorry to trou­ble the court with this.”

The court heard how McKay had not been back in trou­ble since the of­fence took place and a re­port, which was favourable in na­ture, had been com­piled by so­cial work staff.

Sher­iff Wil­liam Gilchrist said: “I will ad­mon­ish you as you have been of good be­hav­iour but this of­fence will now ap­pear on your record. If there is any re­peat the court will not be so le­nient.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.