‘Port get off to win­ning start

Stockport Express - - Motors - NORTH ONE WEST

with pur­pose. The pre-sea­son work by player/coaches Dean Schofield and Tom Ea­ton with the squad was ev­i­dent and the early ‘Port pres­sure se­cured a penalty, scored by Tom Ea­ton, after seven min­utes.

After the restart, ‘Port again were look­ing good with scrum half Tom Duffy mak­ing a break re­sult­ing in an­other penalty, con­verted by Ea­ton.

Black­burn en­joyed a good spell of pos­ses­sion with their left winger hav­ing a good run and squeez­ing over in the cor­ner. The try was un­con­verted.

After some de­ter­mined ball car­ry­ing, and ex­cel­lent pass­ing, ‘Port were again awarded a penalty, this time opt­ing for the catch and drive. After great work on the ‘rum­ble’ by the for­wards, Dean Scofield was able to force him­self over the white­wash in the 26th minute, con­verted by Ea­ton.

The rest of the half was an even con­test, but after a dropped ‘Port pass, then a Black­burn knock on, the home side sur­pris­ingly lost the re­sul­tant scrum, with the vis­i­tors scor­ing from a clever kick ahead.

The try was un­con­verted, but this was a great time to score just be­fore the in­ter­val.

The sec­ond half started like the first with ‘Port mak­ing a bright start.

Three con­sec­u­tive line outs saw Ea­ton make a clever call and then man­age to squeeze over in the cor­ner.

This time the try re­mained un­con­verted.

After a brief spell of de­fend­ing for the home side, cen­tre Rory Austin made a su­perb in­ter­cep­tion mid­way be­tween the 22 and half­way, his pace keep­ing him clear of the chas­ing de­fend­ers, Ea­ton again con­vert­ing.

Black­burn be­came more dom­i­nant as they looked for a way back into the match.

Two pe­ri­ods of sus­tained pres­sure by the vis­i­tors each re­sulted in tries, one from a set scrum and the other en­abling them to get over in the cor­ner.

‘Port had de­fended pretty well, but Black­burn had come back to some ef­fect, though both tries were un­con­verted.

After Black­burn’s sec­ond try, there was still eight min­utes re­main­ing.

The play went from end to end with the home side show­ing great re­silience.

Late ‘Port pres­sure en­abled Tom Gard­ner to force him­self over in the cor­ner, with Ea­ton again con­vert­ing.

Two min­utes later the match was over, with Stock­port se­cur­ing a well de­served win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.