Stockport Express - - Home Advice -

MY wife and I bought some land in 1986 but when I put it on the mar­ket a search at the Land Reg­istry re­vealed a charge placed on it by my son in 1994. He says he con­trib­uted £1,400 to the pur­chase price. Does he have any claim on the land? If your son has reg­is­tered charge against your land it means one of two things: you vol­un­tar­ily gave him a charge and you have for­got­ten about it, or he has ob­tained a County Court judge­ment against you for the money. The charge means that he will be en­ti­tled to the money when the land is sold. If you knew noth­ing about the judge­ment, then you may be able to have it set aside. You will have to act im­me­di­ately, and show that you have a de­fence which shows a rea­son­able prospect of suc­cess. The best way of deal­ing with this is to prove that you didn’t owe your son any money in the first place.

Call Brom­leys So­lic­i­tors LLP on 0161 330 6821 or visit www.brom­leys. If you have any le­gal ques­tions, write to Prop­erty Law, MEN Me­dia, Mitchell Henry House, Hollinwood Av­enue, Chad­der­ton OL9 8EF, or email mail@

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.