General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which film won the Best Picture Academy Award at the 1965 Oscars?
A Ship of Fools B My Fair Lady C Doctor Zhivago D Darling
2. Which Greek goddess was associated with fertility, the earth and agriculture?
A Aphrodite B Artemis C Persephone D Demeter
3. Which king had to deal with the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381?
A Henry II B John C Richard II D Edward II
4. Which female vocalist released an album entitled Sisters Of Avalon in 1997?
A Shania Twain B Cyndi Lauper C Alanis Morrisette D Gabrielle
5. What is the title of Holly Willoughby’s family-based dating show?
A Meet the Folks B Meet the Parents C Meet Mum and Dad D Meet the Family
6. Which precious metal has the symbol Pt?
A Pewter B Plutonium C Platinum D Silver
7. Who wrote the series of novels known as The Alexandria Quartet?
A Lawrence Durrell B James Durrell C Ralph Durrell D Henry Durrell
8. Who is the author of the Dune series?
A Jules Verne B Terry Pratchett C Isaac Asimov D Frank Herbert
9. Which poet wrote The Revenge and Morte D’Arthur?
A Shelley B Yeats C Byron D Tennyson
10. Who played Harold Bishop in Neighbours?
A Ian Smith B Frank Pale C Norman Teal D Troy MacDonald
11. Who wrote the book Mein Kampf?
A Joseph Stalin B Adolf Hitler C Heinrich Himmler D Joseph Goebbels
12. Which Danish writer is best known for fairy tales such as The Ugly Duckling and The Snow Queen?
A Roald Dahl B Hans Christian Andersen C The Brothers Grimm D Andy Anderson
13. What was the stage name of the American operatic soprano Maria Kalageropoulos?
A Maria Callas B Mary Costas C Mary Kalgopolo D Maria Poulos
14. Which American inventor patented the cotton gin, a device that separated cotton fibre from its seeds?
A Joseph Whitney B Eli Whitney C Buster Whitney D Nixon Whitney
15. Which Victorian drama, starring Matthew Macfadyen and MyAnna Buring, had its fifth and final series on BBC2?
A Ripper Street B Murder Avenue C Death Drive D Shredded Street
Actor Matthew Macfadyen. See Question 15.