Newcastle’s Bigg Market of 35 years ago
A pleasant early-Autumn day captured this week 35 years ago in Newcastle’s famous Bigg Market.
In the centre of the scene is the Rutherford Memorial Fountain, erected in 1894 in honour of the eponymous Victorian preacher and educationalist.
The monument was moved further up the street from here in 1998.
Also in the photo is the longgone eaterie, Mother Tucker’s; upstairs is the much-missed Rupali Indian restaurant; and the sign for the now-departed Peter Alan menswear store can be seen.
The Beehive pub, however, on the corner of High Bridge is still alive and kicking in 2018.
Bigg Market, September, 1983