Spot­light on Bal­mullo

The Courier & Advertiser (Fife Edition) - - FROM THE ARCHIVE - craigie@the­courier.co.uk

Bal­mullo, in Fife, is largely a dor­mi­tory set­tle­ment but it was once a weav­ing vil­lage.

The quarry at Bal­mullo ex­tracts or­ange-pink fel­site (red path­way chip­pings) and lies to the west of the vil­lage.

Chil­dren of the lo­cal pri­mary school said in a project: “You can see Bal­mullo from miles away be­cause of a very dis­tinc­tive fea­ture. The vil­lage nes­tles at the foot of a hill and one side of that hill is bright or­ange! That is be­cause it is the site of a road­stone quarry.

“Ev­ery now and then we hear a se­ries of ex­plo­sions and we know that the quarry is be­ing blasted to al­low the quarry-men to ob­tain more rock.”

The present quarry is worked by a com­pany which was reg­is­tered in 1925 but quar­ry­ing was done there be­fore then. It is thought that some of the build­ings in the vil­lage, in­clud­ing the old school and school­house, were built from stone quar­ried there.

Do any of the pho­to­graphs bring back mem­o­ries? If so, we’d love to hear them. Please email

Bal­mullo round­about road­works be­ing cre­ated at the Cu­par end of the vil­lage in Fe­bru­ary 1999.

In July 1988, Fife Girl Guides were gifted their own cot­tage. It was left to them by the late Mr J. Carmichael. Pic­tured are the guides at their own front door in Bal­mullo.

Bal­mullo Youth Club girls BP Griz­zly Chal­lenge team, front, with the Lomond Cen­tre team, back. Front, from left, Michelle Parker, Dawn Black­wood, Julie Mor­ri­son and Cara No­ble. The pic­ture was taken in Fe­bru­ary 1994.

A view of the vil­lage as it looked in 1934. The school­house is on the right.

with Terry MacCal­lum

Traces through time

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.