Three treated by medics af­ter fire at chip shop

Kin­car­dine: Staff and cus­tomers tack­led blaze while wait­ing for emer­gency ser­vices

The Courier & Advertiser (Perth and Perthshire Edition) - - NEWS - Ch­eryl pee­bles cpee­bles@the­

A man was taken to hos­pi­tal and two oth­ers treated at the scene af­ter a fire in a Fife chip shop.

The blaze broke out in Ilario’s, Kin­car­dine, yes­ter­day morn­ing.

It is un­der­stood the owner and some lo­cals at­tempted to ex­tin­guish the flames be­fore emer­gency ser­vices ar­rived just af­ter 10am.

One ca­su­alty was taken to Forth Val­ley Royal Hos­pi­tal in Lar­bert, but re­leased shortly af­ter.

Four fire ap­pli­ances from Falkirk, Lar­bert and Al­loa raced to the High Street premises owned by the Chi­carella fam­ily af­ter sev­eral peo­ple raised the alarm.

Nicky Ersk­ine, who runs nearby shop Nicky’s and the lo­cal post of­fice, said peo­ple were help­ing to put out the fire and shout­ing at those in­side to get out.

She said: “The com­mu­nity re­acted very quickly.

“There were guys with fire ex­tin­guish­ers and I gave them our fire ex­tin­guisher.

“The smoke was belt­ing out, it was hor­ren­dous.

“A cou­ple of boys were in­side and then there was a chap out­side the door who said he was a re­tired fire­fighter and was shout­ing ‘you have to get out of there’.

“The next thing the fire en­gines were here and the am­bu­lance as well.”

The Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice con­firmed it sent four ap­pli­ances to re­ports of a fire in com­mer­cial premises in Kin­car­dine.

A spokesper­son said: “Fire­fight­ers wear­ing breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus used pow­er­ful water jets to ex­tin­guish the fire and then ven­ti­lated the premises.

“Three ca­su­al­ties were treated at the scene by paramedics as a pre­cau­tion.

“One ca­su­alty was sub­se­quently taken to hos­pi­tal for fur­ther treat­ment.

“Crews left the scene af­ter en­sur­ing the area was made safe.”

A Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice spokesper­son said: “We dis­patched one am­bu­lance, a man­ager and our spe­cial op­er­a­tions re­sponse team.

“The first unit ar­rived on scene within two min­utes.

“Two pa­tients were treated at the scene and one male pa­tient was taken to Forth Val­ley Hos­pi­tal.”

It is not yet clear what caused the blaze, but of­fi­cials said the fire was ex­tin­guished within two hours.

The smoke was belt­ing out, it was hor­ren­dous. NICKY ERSK­INE

Pic­tures: Kris Miller.

Staff and mem­bers of the public used ex­tin­guish­ers in an at­tempt to put out the fire.

The rear es­cape was rel­a­tively un­scathed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.