Chicks perish as gas canister explosion causes sheds blaze
It is an absolute roaring fire...
An eyewitness has described a sound “like an aircraft landing” after gas canisters “exploded” in a fire at a Perthshire pheasant farm.
It’s understood that several sheds at Glenshee Pheasantries, based at West Myrerigg Farm near Coupar Angus, were affected by the blaze.
Fire crews from Blairgowrie and Coupar Angus were called to the scene at around 9.20pm.
One man, who lives near the scene and did not want to be identified, said: “It was about 9.15pm and we were sitting watching TV when suddenly it sounded like there was an aircraft going overhead and there was an explosion.
“The sheds use Calor gas bottles in the heating and they have exploded next to the sheds, which have gone up in flames.
“The police and a couple of fire engines turned up very quickly.
“It as a absolutely roaring fire – it sounded like it was coming from a jet engine.
“There will be a fair number of chicks killed – there’s hundreds in each shed and there’s four or five on fire.”
He added that locals had expressed concern about the use of the canisters in the past.
“Glenshee Pheasantries set up 120 sheds for breeding,” he said.
“The closest shed is less than 100 yards from the nearest house.
“Neighbours complained about the risks of Calor gas exploding but we were guaranteed that it would never happen.”
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received a call just before 9.20pm.
“We mobilised two appliances from Blairgowrie and one from Coupar Angus.
“The fire is in a shed housing chicks and we are using hose reels.
“There was propane cylinders alight and venting.”
The Courier was unable to contact Glenshee Pheasantries for comment.