Monarch and Ryanair: the latest
It’s been a rough few weeks for holidaymakers caught up in the Ryanair chaos or the collapse of Monarch Airlines. Last month Ryanair was accused of “cancelling Christmas” after announcing that it would be grounding 18,000 flights between November 2017 and March 2018, affecting hundreds of thousands of customers.
The Civil Aviation Authority, the industry regulator, accused Ryanair of “persistently misleading passengers” with “inaccurate information” regarding their rights following the cancellations.
Passengers have been offered a €40 (£35.66) travel voucher (€80 for return flights) to be used on any Ryanair service before March 2018.
After pressure from the CAA, Ryanair has also agreed to reimburse “reasonable” out of pocket expenses following the cancellations.
An expense claim form and original receipts must be submitted.
Just weeks after Ryanair’s announcement, Monarch crumbled. The CAA said this was the biggest British airline failure. About 110,000 customers were abroad when the firm ceased trading.
Around 300,000 future bookings were cancelled as of Oct 2.
On Monday, Ryanair announced that all 315,000 customers affected by the first wave of cancellations announced on September 18 had received email notices.
It has processed 308,000 refunds or organised alternative flights for affected passengers.
Around 75pc of the 400,000 passengers on flights cancelled from Sept 27 have been issued refunds or been re-routed, Ryanair has said.
The CAA is currently working with the Government to bring home the 110,000 Monarch passengers due to return on or before Oct 15.
On Thursday, the CAA confirmed that 34,608 people had been flown back to Britain.
It said 58 flights were due to bring back 10,793 people that day.
If you are among the customers affected we have published a guide to your rights online at telegraph. co.uk/money/consumer-affairs.