Mother dies at 34 from asbestos contact
Asbestos claimed one of its youngest victims after a 34-year-old who had worked as a barmaid in pubs while they were being renovated died of a related disease, an inquest has heard.
Kirsty Ann List, a single mum from Exeter, contracted peritoneal mesothelioma – a cancer of the abdominal lining caused by asbestos.
The inquest in Exeter heard Ms List had documented where she believed she could have been exposed to asbestos. First at two colleges, which she described as being in a poor condition. Then at a number of pubs that were either old or being renovated. In 2008-2010, she worked at the Duke of Wellington pub in Minehead where her ex-boyfriend recalled builders being upset they had unexpectedly come in contact with asbestos while Ms List was working “all hours” to get it ready to reopen.
Luisa Nicholson, the coroner, recorded a narrative conclusion and said: “She was probably exposed to asbestos by either direct exposure at work or from her days as a student.”