NELSON’S FLAG ON SHOW
A French flag given to Norwich by Admiral Lord Nelson is on show this summer for the first time in a century. The ensign of gun ship Le Généreux is thought to be one of the earliest tricolours in existence. After capture in 1800, Lord Nelson and his flag captain, Edward Berry, sent it to the city. Conservationists found splinters from battle-damaged ships and traces of gunpowder when preparing the 16m by 8.3m flag for display in the Norwich Castle Museum (29 July until 1 October). Fundraising is underway to enable the flag to be kept on permanent display.