CHARLTON ......1 DERBY ............1

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Matt Wright

DERBY man­ager Nigel Clough was hop­ing Jamie Ward’s lat­est in­jury set­back wasn’t se­ri­ous af­ter his penalty on his come­back earned a point against Charlton.

Ward net­ted from the spot with his first touch since re­turn­ing from a three-month lay-off thanks to a torn ham­string, but his day turned sour when an­other strain forced him off 11 min­utes af­ter he came on.

The draw was un­doubt­edly a fair re­sult with two even­ly­matched sides pro­duc­ing a good con­test on a sod­den Val­ley pitch to end re­spec­tive los­ing streaks.

Clough said:“Jamie just felt his ham­string a lit­tle bit and we hope that bring­ing him off was very much pre­cau­tion­ary and we’ll give it a lit­tle but to let it set­tle down again.

“We were con­fi­dent that he could do 20 min­utes for us, but hopefully him go­ing off was just a pre­cau­tion.

“We’ve missed him for three months be­cause he’s got that abil­ity to cre­ate some­thing out of noth­ing, so he’s one of our main play­ers.

“We’re a lit­tle bit dis­ap­pointed that it was only a point, although there were 1015 min­utes where we got away with it at the start of the sec­ond half.

“Then they hit the bar and it would have been dif­fi­cult at 2-0 – hav­ing said that we should have had three in the first 20 min­utes.”

Against the run of play, Charlton took the lead on 20 min­utes when Danny Haynes cut in­side from the left be­fore bend­ing a bril­liant shot into the top cor­ner.

But the Rams al­most pulled level three min­utes later when Paul Coutts robbed Cedric Ev­ina of the ball and crossed for Theo Robin­son, who could only stab his ef­fort at Ben Hamer.

Hamer was far more stretched though when he spread him­self to deny Tyson again af­ter he had been put through by Robin­son.

Charlton then lost Haynes to in­jury but his re­place­ment Bradley Wright-Phillips al­most dou­bled his side’s lead when Adam Legzdins blocked his route when he was one-on-one.

Ledgzdins kept his team in the game again early in the sec­ond half when he pushed away John­nie Jack­son’s shot from Dale Stephens’ low free­kick.

Bradley Pritchard should have made things more com­fort­able for the hosts when Yann Ker­mor­gant rolled the ball back for him only for him to chip onto the bar from ten yards out.

And he was made to re­gret that miss three min­utes later when Michael Mor­ri­son chopped down John Bray­ford, lead­ing to a penalty and a sec­ond yel­low card for the Charlton cen­tre-back.

Up stepped Ward to calmly roll the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner with Hamer div­ing the other way be­fore Bray­ford’s late header came back off the post.

Charlton boss Chris Pow­ell felt the breaks didn’t go his side’s way, say­ing: “There were a cou­ple of turn­ing points against us.

“First we had Bradley Pritchard hit­ting the bar, which would have made it more com­fort­able for us and then a con­tro­ver­sial penalty – some­times they go for you and some­times they don’t.

“But when Michael Mor­ri­son was sent off, the re­main­ing ten play­ers showed a lot of re­silience – they had to – and we’ve come away with a point, which ar­rested three straight de­feats.

“The penalty was a close call and there was a hand­ball be­fore then that wasn’t given but sadly quite a few things are go­ing against us at the moment and we’ve got to work hard to turn that around.”

SPOT ON: Jamie Ward scores for Derby from the penalty spot

GLOVELY: Danny Haynes cel­e­brates with Cedric Ev­ina, right, af­ter scor­ing the first goal

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.