BOURNEMOUTH ..3 CRAW­LEY ........0 Ref Lee got it wrong, says Craw­ley boss

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Nigel Pritchard

TOP-FLIGHT ref­eree Lee Probert in­curred the wrath of Craw­ley boss Richie Barker fol­low­ing Bournemouth’s con­tro­ver­sial sec­ond goal at Dean Court.

Barker was con­vinced Brett Pit­man’s 25-yarder should have been chalked off as he claimed ref­eree Probert had wrongly al­lowed the striker to take an early free-kick.

Pit­man caught Craw­ley nap­ping when he squeezed his ef­fort into the bot­tom cor­ner as the vis­i­tors were still as­sem­bling their de­fen­sive wall – killing off Craw­ley’s hopes.

Barker said:“I have been told in the past by of­fi­cials that that was no longer al­lowed.

“I asked the fourth of­fi­cial whether the ref­eree or the player had in­sti­gated it. His re­ply was that the ref­eree had asked the player if he wanted to take a quick free-kick.

“It is hard enough as it is with­out the ref­eree do­ing that as well so, for me, that was poor ref­er­ee­ing. I am only stat­ing a fact so I can’t get into trou­ble. I will put it in my report and, for me, the goal should not have stood.”

Pit­man’s strike, his third goal since his re­turn to Bournemouth, dou­bled the hosts’ lead af­ter Gary Alexan­der’s own goal had made it 1-0 in the 16th minute.

Bournemouth as­sis­tant boss Ja­son Tin­dall said:“From our point of view, it was in­tel­li­gent play from Brett. He saw an open­ing to score and he ex­e­cuted it fan­tas­ti­cally well.

“Whether it should have stood or not, I am not too sure what the rules are. But I can’t see why it shouldn’t have stood. I’m sure if it had hap­pened at the other end, they would have had a dif­fer­ent view.”

Bournemouth old boy Shaun Cooper went close when his spec­u­la­tive ef­fort from 20 yards flashed past the post af­ter four min­utes.

How­ever, that was as good as it got for the vis­i­tors in the open­ing pe­riod with Bournemouth dom­i­nat­ing and cre­at­ing chances.

Craw­ley goal­keeper Paul Jones got down smartly at his near post to keep out Marc Pugh’s first-time ef­fort, be­fore the Cher­ries were gifted the lead when Alexan­der, un­der no pres­sure, in­ad­ver­tently headed a Steve Cook cross past his own goal­keeper.

Lewis Grab­ban squan­dered a glo­ri­ous chance to dou­ble the lead when he dragged his shot wide be­fore quick think­ing from Pit­man saw him net from the free kick.

Pit­man then blazed over from close range af­ter Char­lie Daniels’s cor­ner had picked him out be­fore Jones pushed away a sting­ing ef­fort from Grab­ban as Bournemouth threat­ened to run riot in the first half.

Tin­dall added: “It was a fan­tas­tic re­sult. It was al­ways go­ing to be dif­fi­cult with two games in quick suc­ces­sion.The aim was to come away with six points.”

Craw­ley came into the game more in the sec­ond pe­riod but Bournemouth’s former Eng­land goal­keeper David James proved a tough man to beat. And Eu­nan O’Kane had the fi­nal say for Bournemouth when his adept fin­ish from a Simon Fran­cis pass sealed the Cher­ries’ win.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.