The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE PLAY-OFFS 1ST LEG - To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­ By Dar­ren James

BEATEN Yeovil boss Gary John­son ad­mit­ted he would be count­ing down the hours un­til his side get an­other shot at Sh­effield United af­ter vow­ing to come out swing­ing in their play-off semi-fi­nal sec­ond leg to­mor­row.

Cal­lum McFadzean’s first se­nior goal, fired home with the help of a de­flec­tion just af­ter the break, was enough to put the Blades in the driv­ing seat in the race to Wem­b­ley.

McFadzean started the game on the bench but re­placed the in­jured Barry Rob­son in the first half and marked his 11th se­nior ap­pear­ance with his most im­por­tant con­tri­bu­tion yet

For the Glovers, who had won four of their past six games and tri­umphed 2-0 at Bra­mall Lane in Jan­uary, it is not all over yet and with a bumper crowd ex­pected at Huish Park boss John­son in­sists they will not go out with a whim­per.

“It is go­ing to be a fan­tas­tic af­ter­noon at Huish Park, most peo­ple would have loved to be one-nil up or two nil-up, but we’re not,” he said.

“We are a goal down and we have got to get that goal back quick, when we have to score, we will have all guns blaz­ing.

“We are with the big boys now in terms of com­pet­ing at this level and I don’t want to go out like a damp squib.

“I was very dis­ap­pointed with the way the goal came about but even be­fore that and cer­tainly just af­ter it we started play­ing.”

With five min­utes gone, Rob­son crossed to Dave Kit­son but he couldn’t keep his header down be­fore Rob­son’s curled free-kick nipped just past the post on eight min­utes

Chris Porter nearly got on the end of a clever through ball by Jamie Mur­phy be­fore it was cleared for a cor­ner, taken by Rob­son and headed over by Harry Maguire.

Yeovil’s best chance of the half came when Kieron Daw­son flashed his right foot strike wide but straight af­ter half-time the.Blades took the lead when sub McFadzean’s low shot bounced off Jamie McAl­lis­ter and into the net.

Ed Up­son’s pow­er­ful strike on 52 min­utes was fum­bled by Ge­orge Long, but with­out a Yeovil at­tacker fol­low­ing up, his er­ror went un­pun­ished.

Paddy Mad­den thought he had equalised on 56 min­utes with a neat dink over Long, but he was just off­side.

McFadzean then weaved his way past McAl­lis­ter and broke into the box but the an­gle was too nar­row to beat Marek Stech.

By­ron Web­ster’s header brought a smart save out of Long be­fore Sam Fo­ley’s ac­ro­batic ef­fort was turned away by the goal­keeper in stop­page time – enough to make care­taker boss Chris Mor­gan wary for the sec­ond leg.

He said: “It’s quite easy to keep them grounded be­cause they are a sen­si­ble bunch and I’ve said to them that we’ve done half a job.

“It’s half-time but we are one-nil up, we are the away team and it isn’t for us to make the run­ning now.

“They’ll have their sup­port­ers get­ting be­hind them and they will want to come out on the front foot. Our aim was to win and you have to take that ad­van­tage when you are at home.

“They will prob­a­bly be happy in their camp that it is only one-nil but we are strong away from home and I ex­pect the sec­ond leg to be an­other game like this.

“We set off to win the game and to get our noses in front and we go to Yeovil and it is on them now.”

PIC­TURE: Ac­tion Im­ages

TIM­ING: Cal­lum McFazdean cel­e­brates af­ter scor­ing Sh­effield United’s win­ner

GET OFF: Yeovil’s James Hayter is foiled by Michael Doyle

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.