Church de­liv­ers for Charlton

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Si­mon Smed­ley

BARNS­LEY boss Dave Fl­itcroft was left frus­trated af­ter his side chucked away a two-goal lead against fel­low early-sea­son strug­glers Charlton.

The Tykes had dom­i­nated the open­ing hour at Oak­well and two qual­ity strikes from Chris O’Grady had fired them into a seem­ingly unas­sail­able lead.

How­ever, the gutsy Ad­dicks struck back in the fi­nal 25 min­utes with young­ster Jor­dan Cousins and Si­mon Church lev­el­ling it up as both sides earned their first points of the sea­son.

And Fl­itcroft ad­mit­ted his side were pun­ished for slack­ing off.

Fl­itcroft said: “We dom­i­nated the first half, and be­yond – we were in full con­trol. But then we've lost our way a lit­tle bit and our game man­age­ment has been poor.

“Charlton were there for the tak­ing, but we've switched off at vi­tal times and it's let them back in. We'll talk about it on Mon­day in train­ing, but right now it's a huge dis­ap­point­ment as we've just not been ruth­less enough.

“There were pos­i­tives though. We've dom­i­nated for long spells against a re­ally good Charlton side - we just needed to keep that rhythm go­ing.

“In the first half we put in a ter- rific per­for­mance, and if we carry on in that vain we'll head in the right di­rec­tion.

“A good week's work came to fruition in that first hour, so we have to take heart from that go­ing for­ward.” The Tykes were good value for their half-time lead.

They went in front af­ter 16 min­utes as O'Grady bagged their first goal of the sea­son af­ter two Cham­pi­onship blanks - and one in the Cap­i­tal One Cup.

Scott Gol­bourne crossed in from the left, Chris Dag­nall's ini­tial ef­fort was blocked, but as the ball was crossed back in, there was O'Grady who lashed a shot into the roof of the net from close range.

Min­utes later the hosts al­most dou­bled their lead, only for Ja­cob Mel­lis's crisp strike to re­bound out off the base of a post.

The theme re­sumed af­ter the break, and the Tykes de­servedly went fur­ther ahead when O'Grady planted home a wellplaced header from Mel­lis' tempt­ing cross.

How­ever, the Ad­dicks showed plenty of re­solve af­ter that point, and sub Cousins brought it back to 2-1 in the 64th minute when he fired home from 15 yards on his league de­but.

Eight min­utes later and the vis­i­tors com­pleted their come­back, with Church clip­ping a shot past Steele af­ter latch­ing on to a pass from Yann Ker­mor­gant.

Ad­dicks boss Chris Pow­ell re­vealed that his stern half-time talk­ing-to ap­peared to do the trick as his side even­tu­ally bat­tled back to earn a point.

He said: “We didn't start the game well and so there were a few choice words from me at half­time. It was a big game for us. I know it's still very early in the sea­son, but both sides will have seen this as a big game.We needed to get our sea­son up and run­ning, as did Barns­ley.

“I wanted to see more char­ac­ter, I wanted to see my play­ers show some stom­ach for the fight that will fol­low over the win­ter months. And I did see that to be fair. We bat­tled back well. Could we have gone on and won it? I'm not so sure as Barns­ley re­ally went for it at the end.” To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

PIC­TURES: Keith Turner

HANG TIME: Chris O’Grady heads home Barns­ley’s sec­ond goal but it wasn’t enough to see off Charlton

Church scores WE WERE THERE: Si­mon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.