Ten-man Wy­come de­nied

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Peter Wall

JOHNNY Mullins scored a dra­matic last-minute equaliser to keep Ox­ford top of League Two – but Wy­combe boss Gareth Ainsworth had noth­ing but praise for his ten-man side.

A Dean Mor­gan dou­ble against his for­mer club had put the Chair­boys on their way to vic­tory that seemed un­likely when Danny Rose lev­elled mat­ters at 1-1 just min­utes af­ter Charles Dunne had been sent off.

But defender Mullins popped up in the sev­enth minute of added time to earn Chris Wilder’s men a late, late point.

Ainsworth ad­mit­ted the dis­missal of Dunne – just a day af­ter he signed a three-year deal with Cham­pi­onship Black­pool be­fore be­ing loaned back to Wan­der­ers – had changed the out­come of the game.

“I am im­mensely proud of the boys as I am most weeks but es­pe­cially af­ter this – they gave me ev­ery­thing they had,” he said.

“The on­slaught came when we had ten men in the sec­ond half. We were the bet­ter side and I think with 11 against 11 we take the win.

“My lads are down but to play with 50 min­utes with ten men they should be elated – I’m very proud of them.

“Un­for­tu­nately Charles was sent off for an al­leged el­bow. We’ll have to have a look at that, but we nearly came off and con­ceded right at the death.

“The ref­eree is on the pitch and it’s

his de­ci­sion. It was purely ac­ci­den­tal in Charles’ opin­ion, but it’s an el­bow in the face and by the let­ter of the law you’ve got to go.

“I’m not here to have a go at ref­er­ees. They’ve got a tough job out there.”

Mor­gan, who scored once in ten games for United dur­ing a loan spell at the end of the 2011/12 sea­son, gave Ainsworth’s men the lead in the 42nd minute with a glanc­ing header at the far post fol­low­ing Gary Do­herty’s long ball into the box.

Wy­combe, with­out a point since beat­ing More­cambe on the open­ing day, had to with­stand some early pres­sure from the hosts, chas­ing a fourth win out of four.

But af­ter Mor­gan fired wide from 12 yards it was they who fin­ished the half in the as­cen­dancy.

Af­ter the break, Rose rather for­tu­itously equalised di­rect from a free-kick im­me­di­ately af­ter Dunne’s dis­missal, the young defender al­leged to have el­bowed Al­fie Pot­ter.

Sub­sti­tute Dave Kit­son headed wide min­utes later, but the ten man of Wy­combe fought back, Mor­gan bag­ging his sec­ond from the penalty spot af­ter be­ing tripped in the box by David Hunt.

From then on it was all Ox­ford, and the con­sis­tent pres­sure fi­nally told seven min­utes of in­jury time as Mullins drove home a right-footed ef­fort into the far cor­ner from 15 yards, to the re­lief of U’s boss Wilder.

“It’s a good point and it might be a valu­able one at the end of the sea­son,” he said. “That’s ten from four games and in my eyes that’s a good start.

“Credit to Wy­combe as well. They scrapped and bat­tled, which we knew they would, and got good sup­port from the trav­el­ling fans.

“They got a point, some feel they should have got three but that’s the way the game goes.

“I was pretty dis­ap­pointed that af­ter we scored we didn’t go out and try for a win­ner, but if we’d have got beaten it would have been a dis­ap­point­ing af­ter­noon.

“It’s not what we wanted at the start of the game – it’s not an­other win, but it’s a bat­tling point.

“We want to win all the time.We’ve got play­ers that will travel far to get re­sults.

“Not just 60 miles down the road but up to Ac­cring­ton and else­where and play with the same per­for­mance.

“We’ve got a tough run and a dif­fi­cult start.

“This game was al­ways go­ing to tough, they were al­ways go­ing to come here make life dif­fi­cult.” To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

SPOT ON: Dean Mor­gan scores a penalty for Wy­combe

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages

HERE’S JOHNNY: Johnny Mullins scores the sec­ond goal for Ox­ford United

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.