Bury left shaken as Brew­ers strike late

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Dan Machin

BUR­TON boss Gary Rowett hailed his side’s never-say-die men­tal­ity as they pro­duced a stun­ning come­back to res­cue a point against Bury.

The vis­i­tors went two goals up through An­ton For­rester and debu­tant Wil­liam Ed­jenguele but the Brew­ers hit back late on to send the home crowd into rap­tures.

Michael Symes pulled one back min­utes af­ter com­ing off the bench be­fore Adam McGurk fired home from dis­tance with sec­onds left on the clock.

Bury had looked in cruise con­trol but the in­tro­duc­tion of Symes and Matty Palmer swung the game in Bur­ton’s favour.

“The piv­otal mo­ment was the play­ers that came on and made an im­pact,” said Rowett.“It gave them a prob­lem and just started to open the game up for us a lit­tle bit.

“I said at half-time that we needed to show char­ac­ter, just like we did against Chel­tenham. It is im­por­tant that we keep deal­ing with what­ever the game throws at us.

“It doesn’t mat­ter how late you leave it.We’ve got a squad men­tal­ity and to­day was the per­fect ex­am­ple of that.

“All the play­ers are giv­ing me a headache se­lec­tion-wise.We’re a team and the sub­sti­tutes have got us a point to­day with some ex­cel­lent per­for­mances.”

For­rester gave Bury the lead af­ter a rather un­event­ful open­ing quar- ter of an hour, re­ceiv­ing the ball just in­side the area be­fore fir­ing a neat fin­ish into the far cor­ner.

Rob­bie Weir had a great chance to equalise min­utes later but his header hit the side net­ting.

Chances re­mained few and far be­tween for the re­main­der of the half un­til Ed­jenguele popped up to head home from a Jor­dan Sin­nott cor­ner.

Bur­ton were strug­gling for a route back into the match. Even Rory De­lap’s long throw-ins were prov­ing un­suc­cess­ful.

Then, with time run­ning out, Symes rose high­est to head be­yond the help­less Rob Lain­ton, be­fore McGurk com­pleted the come­back in style.

“We knew they’d throw the kitchen sink at us in the sec­ond half,” said Bury man­ager Kevin Black­well.“I felt we could have dealt with the balls in the box a lit­tle bit bet­ter, but other than that I’m pleased with the boys.

“Our first half per­for­mance was the best from any team at this level that I’ve seen for a long time.

“We looked a real class out­fit and cre­ated some good chances, but at twonil we should have gone on and killed the game.

“No one else is com­ing through the door now.

“We’ve now got to build an un­der­stand­ing and kick on.” To comment on this match go to http://boards.footy­mad.net/

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.