Barns­ley strike at death to get point

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Matthew Mur­ray To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­mad.net/

DANNY Wil­son is con­vinced Barns­ley have the bot­tle to win their bat­tle against rel­e­ga­tion af­ter Nick Proschwitz grabbed a last-gasp equaliser at fel­low strug­glers Don­caster.

While a point does lit­tle to close the gap be­tween the Tykes and safety, de­feat would have been a crush­ing blow that would have handed Donny a nine-point ad­van­tage.

Only Mill­wall, who hope Ian Hol­loway will in­spire them to safety, and Charl­ton, who have plenty of games in hand, stand be­tween the two sides with Barns­ley wedged sec­ond-from-bot­tom.

It looked like that gap would nar­row sig­nif­i­cantly when Proschwitz grabbed the opener only for two James Coppinger strikes in a ten-minute spell af­ter half-time to turn the game on its head.

To Wil­son’s re­lief Proschwitz came up with a re­sponse in the 89th minute to earn the Tykes a point and fuel the man­ager’s be­lief that sur­vival re­mains a pos­si­bil­ity.

He said:“To keep go­ing un­til the end of the game showed that we have some char­ac­ter. It was a game of big mag­ni­tude at a key time of the sea­son so I have to praise the lads for dig­ging in right un­til the end.

“We got what we de­served. We asked a lot of ques­tions, es­pe­cially to­wards the end of the game, and had some good chances and kept per­se­ver­ing. We al­ways be­lieved we could get some­thing out of it and thank­fully we did.

“At the end of the day it’s a good re­sult for us but I’m sure Don­caster will feel like it’s two points dropped, as we would if we’d con­ceded a late goal.

“We’ve caused prob­lems to most teams in the last few weeks but we’ve let in too many soft goals.”

It was the Tykes who took the lead on 27 min­utes when Hull loa­nee Proschwitz slot­ted home. The big Ger­man striker got on the end of a de­flected long ball and out­jumped goal­keeper Sam Johnstone be­fore tap­ping in from a few yards in front of the trav­el­ling sup­port­ers.

The game’s big con­tro­versy came a few min­utes later when for­mer Rovers mid­fielder Martin Woods brought down James Hus­band in the box. Ref­eree Andy D’Urso wasn’t look­ing at the in­ci­dent and al­lowed play to con­tinue, but Rovers fans and boss Paul Dickov were fu­ri­ous.

Five min­utes later, there was con­tro­versy at the other end as Barns­ley skip­per Martin Cranie’s headed goal from Woods’ cor­ner was dis­al­lowed for push­ing. It didn’t look like there had been much con­tact be­tween Cranie and Rovers play­ers but D’Urso blew his whis­tle.

A few sec­onds be­fore the in­ter­val, Rovers equalised in com­i­cal fash­ion as Barns­ley ‘keeper Luke Steele and Cranie made a hash of Hus- band’s deep cross and the ball spilled to Coppinger who tapped home.

And the hosts got their noses in front on 55 min­utes when Coppinger’s de­flected strike from the edge of the box sailed past Steele. The Barns­ley ‘keeper was wrong­footed but seemed to watch the ball sneak past him with­out mov­ing.

Cen­tre-half Peter Ra­m­age saw his loop­ing header hit the bar but it looked like Rovers were go­ing to claim the points only for Wil­son’s men to nick a point in the 89th minute.

Proschwitz slot­ted home af­ter good work from Chris O’Grady and sub­sti­tute Paddy McCourt.

Dickov said: “Af­ter go­ing 2-1 up we ex­pect to win the game but we lost con­cen­tra­tion.We dropped too deep and stopped do­ing the things that got us back in the game.

“They put us un­der a lot of pres­sure but we’ve been sound de­fen­sively in the last few weeks and I’d ex­pect my team to cling on.

“I’m dis­ap­pointed but it’s an­other point on the board and we’ll keep go­ing.

“Barns­ley might feel that they de­served it with the pres­sure they put on us at the end but hav­ing been 2-1 up we should have hung on there’s no doubt about it.”

POINT NICKED: Nick Proschwitz fires home a price­less equaliser for Barns­ley


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.