The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Phillips

EX­ETER boss Paul Tis­dale was a happy man af­ter guid­ing his side to their first win of 2014 with vic­tory at Southend.

The Gre­cians bagged two goals in the fi­nal seven min­utes of the match to end a run of six games with­out a tri­umph.

And Tis­dale felt it was a well de­served three points at Roots Hall.

“I thought we played re­ally well and the per­for­mance war­ranted all three points,” said Tis­dale.

“We con­ceded two goals by Southend over­pow­er­ing us in the box but I felt we played the con­di­tions re­ally well.

“The pitch was re­ally sticky and muddy and to be hon­est I was sur­prised it was on with the weather we have had re­cently so hats off to Southend’s ground staff.

“But we played the ball well around the park and Jimmy Keo­hane be­hind John O’Flynn worked re­ally well for us and their move­ment was ex­cel­lent so I’m de­lighted.”

Ex­eter ini­tially went in front af­ter ten min­utes when Ar­ron Davies’ header sent Keo­hane through on goal and the striker made no mis­take with an as­sured 12-yard fin­ish.

How­ever, two min­utes later, the Shrimpers were back level when Mark Phillips headed home a right wing free-kick from Ben Coker.

Phillips, who had pre­vi­ously not scored all sea­son, popped up again in the 22nd minute to nod in a right wing cor­ner from Ke­van Hurst.

But Southend con­tin­ued to look shaky at the back and goal­keeper Daniel Bent­ley did well to deny both Keo­hane and John O’Flynn.

How­ever, with 82 min­utes on the clock, the Gre­cians drew back level in stun­ning cir­cum­stances when Liam Ser­combe sent a well struck 25 yard-shot fly­ing in to the top right hand cor­ner of the net.

The Shrimpers then wasted a cou­ple of half-chances with Ja­son Wil­liams and Ke­van Hurst both be­ing de­nied by Ex­eter’s debu­tant goal­keeper Christy Pym.

And the Gre­cians hit back to bag an 87th minute when sub­sti­tute Eliot Richards scored his first goal for the club.

The striker cut in off the left flank, fol­low­ing a short cor­ner, be­fore drilling home a low shot to give the vis­i­tors a win Southend boss Phil Brown felt they fully de­served.

“Ex­eter played with a verve and tempo we just couldn’t seem to get and credit to them, they got the vic­tory they de­served,” said Brown.

“We’re frus­trated and it’s not a nice feel­ing but the whole place just seemed to be a bit played.

“I’m not go­ing to blame the con­di­tions but we need to get back out there, roll our sleeves up and get stuck in, not just lie back and think of Eng­land. “We’re at home again on Tues­day to Hartle­pool and we need to make sure we get a much bet­ter

re­sult in that game now.”

SOUTHEND UNITED (4-4-2): Bent­ley 6, White 5, Phillips 7, Thomp­son 4, Coker 5, Hurst 6, Leonard 6, Tim­lin 6 (Wil­liams 85 6), Atkin­son 5, Barnard 5 (Gomis 69 6), Corr 5 (East­wood 77 6).

Subs not used: P Smith, Laird, Straker, Payne. EX­ETER CITY (4-5-1): Pym 5, But­ter­field 6, Ben­nett 6, Coles 6, Wood­man 7, Ser­combe 7, Oak­ley 6 (Wheeler 73 6), Grimes 6, Davies 7, Keo­hane 6 (Richards 60 7), O’Flynn 6 (Ni­chols 84 6). Subs not used: Krysiak, Moore-Tay­lor, Daw­son, Parkin.

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

WIN­NER: Eliot Richards, right, fires home to make it 3-2 to Ex­eter City

MOB RULE: Cel­e­bra­tions for Eliot Richards’ win­ner



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.