The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jeff Clowes

SIT­TING top of the ta­ble does not au­to­mat­i­cally guar­an­tee vic­tory – which was why Ch­ester­field man­ager Paul Cook was quick to salute his play­ers ef­forts af­ter they avoided a po­ten­tial banana skin against lowly Torquay.

Held at the break by a spir­ited vis­it­ing side, Ch­ester­field then found them­selves a goal down through Samir Good­win be­fore Eoin Doyle snatched an equaliser shortly af­ter­wards.

It then turned into the Jay O’Shea show as the winger’s dou­ble in­side the fi­nal ten min­utes helped his side re­gain their three­p­oint cush­ion at the league’s sum­mit.

And while Cook ad­mit­ted Torquay’s goal had pro­vided some wel­come mo­ti­va­tion, he did not down play the strength of his play­ers’ re­solve.

“It was al­ways go­ing to be a dif­fi­cult one, be­cause people think it was a game that we just have to turn up, these are al­ways the hard­est games in foot­ball you have to make your own at­mos­phere and gen­er­ate your own sort of level of per­for­mance and that’s what good teams do,” said Cook. “We were painful for a long pe­riod in the game.

“Cer­tainly them scor­ing gave us a lit­tle bit of a rocket, be­cause they didn’t look like scor­ing if the truth be known, but then, nei­ther did we in the first half.

“I just think we have got good play­ers, its go­ing well for us at the minute and this was a great re­sult for the play­ers.”

The home side came close to tak­ing an early lead in­side four min­utes when O’Shea flicked on Ol­lie Banks’ ef­fort but his strike smacked the bar in what was the clear­est chance of the open­ing half.

But with lowly Torquay more than match­ing their op­po­nents, they got a de­served break­through five min­utes af­ter the restart when Good­win calmly slot­ted home.

It came on the back of a swift counter at­tack from a Ch­ester­field cor­ner af­ter Sam Morsy’s shot had been de­flected over the bar.

Their lead did not last long how­ever with Doyle seiz­ing on a poor de­fen­sive clear­ance be­fore slam­ming home six min­utes later.

Good­win had a chance to see Torquay re­take the lead on 78 min­utes but his ef­fort hit the post.

And it would prove to be piv­otal with O’Shea’s 20-yard shot two min­utes putting the hosts in front be­fore his sec­ond in added time clinched the points.

The re­sult means Torquay re­main in the rel­e­ga­tion spots, two points clear of safety.

And while not fault­ing his side’s en­deav­our, man­ager Chris Har­g­reaves ac­cepted con­ced­ing their first goal so soon af­ter tak­ing the lead had knocked them back.

“We are ob­vi­ously very dis­ap­pointed but I can’t fault the ef­fort of all our play­ers, but all in all it was a bad day at a bad time,” said Har­g­reaves.

“The first half we did al­right there was some good per­for­mances but we can’t blame luck when your in our po­si­tion.

“We were com­fort­able in the lead in the game and then we con­ceded a goal and the tide turned a bit then.”

CH­ESTER­FIELD: (4-2-3-1): Lee 6, Evatt 6, Ryan 7, Morsy 6, Humphreys 6, Darikwa 7, Cooper 6, O’Shea 9, Banks 6 (Gnan­duil­let 56 6), Gard­ner 6 (Roberts 56 5), Doyle 8 (Hird 84 5) Subs not used: Dun­bavin, Tog­well, Smith, Richards

TORQUAY: (4-1-4-1): Poke 6, Tonge 6, Pearce 7, Lathrope 6 (Downes 75 5), Mansell 6, Chapell 6 (Cameron 82 5), Good­win 8, Labadie 6, Stock­ley 7, (Wilkin­son 75 5) Cruise 7, O’Con­nor 6 Subs

not used: Ni­chol­son, Haw­ley, Rice, O’Brien

PIC­TURES: Ac­tion Im­ages


rfield BUN­DLE: Jay O’Shea cel­e­brates with team mates af­ter scor­ing the third goal for Ch­ester­field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.