Evans lets rip in call for bet­ter fin­ish­ing

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Matt Hill To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­mad.net/

ROTHER­HAM man­ager Steve Evans claimed his half-time rant in­spired his side to beat Carlisle af­ter blast­ing his troops for not be­ing 5-0 up at the break.

The Millers dom­i­nated the first half and should have been in front at the in­ter­val only for Carlisle striker Lee Miller to can­cel out Wes Thomas’ opener.

It looked as though the Cum­bri­ans would make the most of their good for­tune and hold out for a point only for Kieran Agard to turn in Alex Rev­ell’s cross at the death.

And while the score­line did not match up to Evans’ de­mands, the man­ager in­sisted they got noth­ing less than they de­served.

“From the start we were com­pletely dom­i­nant,” he said.

“We must have had about 80 per cent pos­ses­sion in the first half, and prob­a­bly should’ve been 5-0 up by half-time.

“That chat at half time was a rare oc­ca­sion where I’ve had to tear into the lads a lit­tle bit, be­cause it’s vi­tal we keep churn­ing out wins and keep the mo­men­tum.

“The cross from Alex Rev­ell for the win­ner was fan­tas­tic, and Kieran (Agard) has done the hard­est thing in foot­ball in terms of cut­ting across his de­fender and stroking the ball in the net.

Wes Thomas wasted the first great chance of the game, af­ter a Kari Ar­na­son long throw was flicked into his path by Claude Davis but the front man rolled the ball wide.

Thomas again found him­self clean through on goal af­ter an Agard flick, but man­aged to loft the ball wide of the goal.

The striker did fi­nally find the net af­ter 24 min­utes, when home keeper Jordan Pick­ford col­lided with his own de­fender.

But Carlisle grew back into the con­test and drew spec­tac­u­larly level, with vir­tu­ally the last kick of the half.

A flick-on was con­trolled on the chest by Miller who then un­leashed a ter­rific bi­cy­cle kick into the far cor­ner.

Af­ter the break Thomas was de­nied by Pick­ford while Brad Potts blazed two ef­forts over the bar be­fore Agard man­aged to di­vert the ball low past Pick­ford in stop­page time. Carlisle man­ager Gra­ham Ka­vanagh said: “We’re very dis­ap­pointed to lose the game in that man­ner, but to be hon­est, I didn’t think we were any­where near where we needed to be in a phys­i­cal sense.

“I def­i­nitely saw signs of fa­tigue, which is un­der­stand­able with a young squad. The first half was very flat for us, but a bit of great tech­nique from Lee Miller gets us in level.

“Sec­ond half I felt like ev­ery­body “manned up” and we had a lot of the ball, but couldn’t re­ally break them down.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.