Wilder’s new era too much for Pools

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Thomas Han­nah To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­mad.net/

FOR CHRIS Wilder it wasn’t ex­actly New Year’s Eve – but it could be the start of a new era all the same.

Vic­tory for his Northamp­ton side over Hartle­pool may leave them still bot­tom of League Two and five points from safety, but it could sig­nal a new start for his strug­glers.

This was their first home win since Novem­ber 30 and it was a de­served one over one of the di­vi­sion’s form teams.

Two goals in a minute ei­ther side of half-time, from Mathias Doumbe and Bren­nan Dick­en­son, both turn­ing home from in­side the six­yard box gave the Cob­blers three much­needed points.

“Ev­ery­one should en­joy re­sults like this, es­pe­cially af­ter they haven’t been great this sea­son. It’s not New Year’s Eve – I’m not go­ing to be par­ty­ing un­til 2am!’’ joked Wilder.

“But I will cer­tainly feel good about the weekend and I hope the sup­port­ers do, they’ve not had a lot to cheer about re­cently.

“I think we all will be en­cour­aged by this per­for­mance and the foot­ball we played all.

“The days where I will take de­feat and ac­cept it aren’t here, it will never hap­pen.

“The play­ers looked as if we have given our­selves a fight­ing chance with per­for­mances like this – we worked hard.

“There’s still a long way to go, a third of the sea­son and a lot of points to play for. Let’s en­joy the weekend and get back to work on Mon­day for a big game on Tues­day.”

In truth, the first half was a tor­rid af­fair. Nei­ther side looked ca­pa­ble - or will­ing – to take charge.

The open­ing goal was the game’s first open­ing, com­ing four min­utes into six of added on time. Chris Hack­ett’s free-kick was headed back across goal by the un­marked Joe Widdowson and, amid a scram­ble, Doumbe got the touch to turn the ball in. Less than a minute into the sec­ond half, Hack­ett crossed and Dick­en­son got their first in the six-yard area to con­vert.

Wilder added: “Ev­ery­one played their part, in­di­vid­u­ally and col­lec­tively and you could see the be­lief com­ing back into the team, es­pe­cially af­ter we got the first goal.

Mid­fielder Si­mon Wal­ton bob­bled a shot against the post for Pools, be­fore Luke Wil­liams fi­nally drew a save from keeper Matt Duke.

“The boys were very hon­est af­ter­wards,’’ said Pools boss Colin Cooper.

“For what­ever rea­son they didn’t’ play like they are ca­pa­ble of.

“They felt tired and leggy. Even though we made two changes to the team to try and freshen it up a bit, it hasn’t quite worked.”



ND Northa


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.