The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Jack Miller To com­ment on this match go to http://boards.footy­

WY­COMBE boss Gareth Ainsworth is re­fus­ing to give up on his team’s Foot­ball League sta­tus which is now hang­ing by a thread af­ter David Clark­son’s late strike for Bris­tol Rovers.

With fel­low strug­glers Northamp­ton also claim­ing a win at Da­gen­ham; Wy­combe are now in the bot­tom two and re­ly­ing on favours on the fi­nal day of the sea­son.

Lee Brown gave Rovers an early lead but Matt McClure equalised for Wy­combe with his eighth goal of the sea­son be­fore the break.

How­ever Clark­son had the last laugh for Rovers, who still aren’t safe, and con­demned the home side to just one win from their last 11 games.

And Ainsworth said: “I be­lieve we’ve got enough to beat Torquay in our last game. I be­lieve we’ve got enough to beat any­one in this league, we just haven’t done it con­sis­tently enough this year.

“The fans have a right to say what­ever they want about me. I’m not naive enough to think in foot­ball that won’t hap­pen, but get be­hind the team be­cause they are work­ing hard and have given their all.

“I’m dev­as­tated for them be­cause they’re a young group and don’t de­serve to be where they are. We have to do our job at Torquay and rely on some­one else to get us out of jail.

“It’s not in our hands now, but we’ve done it be­fore here at Wy­combe Wan­der­ers – the ‘Great Es­cape’. They did it at Lin­coln many years ago and why can’t we do it again.”

Rovers broke the dead­lock on 11 min­utes, Brown stroking a stun­ning 25yard free-kick into the top cor­ner.

McClure equalised on 20 min­utes with a spec­tac­u­lar back-heeled flick from Sam Wood’s cross, which crept in­side the far post to make it 1-1.

But Rovers won it – and in do­ing so moved three points above their hosts – against the run of play in the 74th minute, mak­ing their first mean­ing­ful at­tack of the half count.

Wy­combe’s McClure di­verted a cross into the path of Clark­son who could not miss from six yards, send­ing the trav­el­ling Rovers fans into rap­tures.

And Bris­tol Rovers boss Dar­rell Clarke said: “I’m pretty level-headed to be hon­est with you be­cause I know there’s still work to be done.

“So it’s great to go and get three points as it stays in our hands for our fi­nal home game, but noth­ing is done yet and I don’t want people get­ting car­ried away think­ing it is. We know what we re­quire now at home to Mans­field, but it is a tough league and noth­ing is a given.

“It was a bit of a brave call as I changed it to a 3-5-2 as I knew all the other teams were win­ning at half-time so this was a game we had to win.

“We needed to be aware of the other scores.

“I’m not do­ing my job prop­erly if I don’t do that out there. I knew the oth­ers were all win­ning at half­time so I had plan B ready in the chang­ing room.”

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

KEY MO­MENT: David Clark­son scores the Bris­tol Rovers win­ner

MOBBED: Fans pile on to cel­e­brate with Clark­son


SON Bris­tol


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.