Curle can see signs of a new Carlisle

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Tim Mor­riss

THERE was no fairy­tale re­turn to his old club for newly-ap­pointed Carlisle boss Keith Curle, who took over the bot­tom-ofthe-ta­ble side 24 hours ear­lier.

Curle cut his man­age­rial teeth at the Stags a decade ear­lier, but was un­able to guide the Cum­bri­ans to a first win in 15 matches after a first-half three-goal maul­ing, de­spite a spir­ited sec­ond-half fight­back

Curle said: “In the firsthalf we looked shy and initim­i­dated. It was the old Carlisle. But in the sec­ond 45 min­utes we showed what the new Carlisle could be.

“At half-time I asked them to make sure they could come off the pitch at the end and look me in the eye, know­ing they’d had a go. To a man they all did.

“It’s dif­fi­cult. I have only been here a day and taken one train­ing ses­sion. But there is po­ten­tial. The per­for­mance in the sec­ond half will have given the trav­el­ling sup­port­ers hope for the fu­ture.”

Mans­field man­ager Paul Cox ad­mit­ted: “Carlisle were ex­cel­lent in the sec­ond half. Some­times you have to con­grat­u­late the other team on their per­for­mance rather than pick holes in your own.

“There is some gloom and doom around the place be­cause of the sec­ond half.We have got to en­joy win­ning at this foot­ball club.We are Mans­field Town not Manch­ester United.

“We are not al­ways go­ing to have it our own way. I am proud of the play­ers’ per­for­mance and they should be proud. They need a pat on the back. The work ethic and de­sire of the play­ers was im­mense.”

The Stags took a third­minute lead when Lee Beev­ers headed Liam Mars­den’s cross past the div­ing Mark Gille­spie after Mars­den’s ini­tial long throw caused con­fu­sion in the area.

In the 37th minute the bot­tom club failed to deal with another Mars­den long throw and the ball broke for the wing back to cross to the far post, where Rak­ish Bing­ham lashed in from six yards.

Then Beev­ers won pos­ses­sion on the edge of his area and surged to the edge of the Carlisle box, be­fore giv­ing trans­fer dead­line day sign­ing Bing­ham the chance to fire in his sec­ond.

Sloppy de­fend­ing handed Carlisle a life­line in the 62nd minute when half-time sub­sti­tute David Amoo was al­lowed to score from close range.

Three min­utes later Dim­i­tar Ev­ti­mov smoth­ered another Amoo drive.

Carlisle’s pres­sure was fur­ther re­warded in the 71st minute when Dempsey ran across the face of the area and scored from 16 yards, but the Stags hung on for their sec­ond win in five days.


M Mansfi


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.