Shrimpers carry off third win in a row

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Phillips

SOUTHEND United man­ager Phil Brown felt his side made hard work of their first win at York City since 1987.

The Shrimpers tri­umphed at Bootham Cres­cent to se­cure their third win in suc­ces­sion.

But Brown felt the vic­tory should have been more com­fort­able.

“It was a hard earned but that’s what we made it by caus­ing our­selves the prob­lems,” he said.

“I don’t think York re­ally caused us too many prob­lems, we caused them our­selves.

“The cor­ner they scored from for the first goal was avoid­able and the sec­ond one we con­ceded we should have done bet­ter with too.

“But we got the win and this week will go a long way to our young play­ers learn­ing their trade.

“We had enough qual­ity to see it through and Jack Payne re­ally caused them prob­lems in the role he played.”

Southend took just nine min­utes to open the scor­ing, with Myles We­ston fir­ing home a well taken penalty.

Ref­eree Paul Tier­ney pointed to the spot after a bright run in to the penalty area from Payne who was up­ended by Marvin McCoy.

And We­ston made no mis­take from 12 yards.

York drew level on the stroke of half-time with skip­per Rus­sell Penn head­ing home.

The mid­fielder was picked out six yards from goal after Keith Lowe volleyed Luke Sum­mer­field’s right-wing cor­ner back in to the box and made no mis­take with a firm header.

But seven min­utes after the break, Southend went back in front with Ke­van Hurst net­ting his first goal of the sea­son.

The winger re­acted sharply when goal­keeper Michael Ing­ham poorly spilt a chipped ball in to the box from Payne and fired home with his left foot from 10 yards.

The vis­i­tors re­mained on top and ex­tended their ad­van­tage even fur­ther in the 78th minute.

The ex­cel­lent Payne started and fin­ished the move by re­leas­ing David Wor­rall down the left hand side be­fore charg­ing for­ward and meet­ing his cross with a fan­tas­tic, right footed fin­ish from 20 yards. The strike should have killed the game off, but York hit back in the 85th minute when Dave Win­field headed home a fine right wing cross from McCoy.

How­ever, the Shrimpers were able to hang on to record all three points and that frus­trated York boss Nigel Wor­thing­ton.

“The en­ergy and com­mit­ment was there,” said Wor­thing­ton.

“But in­di­vid­ual mis­takes cost us very dear and we’re ob­vi­ously dis­ap­pointed with the re­sult.

“We have to start deal­ing with the ball much bet­ter and limit chances.”



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.