Davis is down as Alex woe con­tin­ues

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Jon Wal­dron

STEVE Davis had ad­mit­ted in his pro­gramme notes the majority of his play­ers would need to be at the top of their game if they were to beat Colch­ester United – and they were not.

In­stead, his strug­gling Crewe side re­main rooted to the bot­tom of League One after another dam­ag­ing de­feat.

Davis wanted the Alex to bounce back fol­low­ing their 6-1 maul­ing at MK Dons and after a goal­less first half against the U’s, it looked as though they might.

Greg Leigh struck a post for the hosts shortly after half-time but Crewe then con­ceded three times in quick suc­ces­sion, to slump to their sev­enth de­feat from nine league games.

Davis said: “The first goal would have made the dif­fer­ence for us in terms of boost­ing our con­fi­dence but that ten-minute spell showed our fragility at the mo­ment.

“The cross came in and three play­ers could have dealt with it and it fell to Sears.

“It was a rare at­tack for them and then they scored again.

“The game was won in that spell and we have got to do bet­ter.

“We have to keep go­ing and try and work harder to cut out those mo­ments in the game when we just switch off.

“We’re not able to stop the goals go­ing in.”

Colch­ester moved out of the bot­tom four with their vic­tory, to con­tinue their im­pres­sive start to life un­der boss Tony Humes.

Humes said:“It was an ab­so­lutely fan­tas­tic re­sult for us.

“We won the game 3-0 and it was a com­pre­hen­sive vic­tory on pa­per.

“It was a solid de­fen­sive per­for­mance and we took our chances well.

“It was a tense first half and we didn’t get into our rhythm, in terms of mov­ing the ball quickly.

“Crewe played a very nar­row mid­field and we were try­ing to play through cen­tral ar­eas rather than us­ing the width.

“But once we started us­ing the width in the sec­ond half, we got re­wards for it.

“The in­tro­duc­tion of Rhys Healey helped us and we got our suc­cess from that.”

After a cagey first half, Leigh’s header hit the wood­work just after the restart be­fore Humes’ decision to send on Cardiff City loa­nee Healey for his de­but seven min­utes into the sec­ond half changed the game.

Soon after, Fred­die Sears gave Colch­ester the lead when he con­verted Sanchez Watt’s low cross with aplomb.

And the U’s scored again six min­utes later through Healey, who con­fi­dently fired home Gavin Massey’s pass.

Watt wrapped up Colch­ester’s win when he bun­dled in from close range un­der pres­sure from Matt Too­tle.




Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.