The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Matt Bam­sey

PRO­MO­TION-CHAS­ING Bury found an un­likely ally in the shape of Ex­eter boss Paul Tis­dale after their eightgame un­beaten run came to an end at St James’ Park.

Matt Grimes’ stun­ning 25-yard free-kick put the Gre­cians in front be­fore Tom Soares fired an equaliser on the hour.

But Jimmy Keo­hane stepped off the bench to grab an 83rd-minute win­ner to make it three wins on the spin for a rejuvenated Ex­eter side.

The de­feat saw Bury slip two places to third in the ta­ble but Tis­dale was keen to talk up their pro­mo­tion chances.

He said: “They are a ter­rific side and they look like a League One team to me.

“It is hard to get out of this di­vi­sion, but they have ev­ery­thing about them that points to League One foot­ball.

“They were the best team we have played this sea­son by a con­sid­er­able dis­tance.

“They were well on top in the sec­ond half and I had some think­ing to do to change it. They will leave think­ing they were wor­thy of at least a point but I am de­lighted with a win.

“We are on a good run but I know we will be hard pushed to main­tain this with so many play­ers out each week.”

The opener was a text­book train­ing ground free-kick as Grimes dis­patched the ball into the top cor­ner with a flash of his left-foot after Pablo Mills tripped Gra­ham Cum­mins.

Bury al­ways looked dan­ger­ous on the counter-at­tack and Danny Mayor slid the ball into the path of Nicky Adams but he com­pletely missed the ball with the goal at his mercy. Daniel Nardiello, fac­ing his for­mer club, tested Ex­eter keeper Christy Pym at his near post after go­ing past Jor­dan Moore-Tay­lor and fir­ing in a fierce shot.

Another rapid Bury break­away ended with Mayor slip­ping in Ryan Lowe but Pym came to the res­cue with a ter­rific one-handed save.

When Bury did force the equaliser, it came cour­tesy of another great strike. Soares was af­forded too much space 25 yards out and he took ad­van­tage by un­leash­ing a crisp strike that beat Grimes at his near post.

Alex Ni­cholls almost re­gained the lead for Ex­eter when he let fly with a pow­er­ful drive that was par­ried by Rob Lain­ton and Cum­mins smashed the re­bound wide.

Pym, sport­ing a head ban­dage after suf­fer­ing a gash in the first half, pulled off a string of smart saves to deny Bury. And with the game on a knife-edge, Bury keeper Lain­ton spilled Jor­dan Moore-Tay­lor’s header and Keo­hane nipped in to tap home the win­ner.

Even then the vis­i­tors should have claimed a share of the spoils but sub­sti­tute Danny Rose sent a free header over the bar.

Bury boss David Fl­itcroft said: “Their keeper was out­stand­ing. I just wish they had put the ban­dage over his eyes.

“We have had enough chances to win two games of foot­ball but we rushed them.

“Their first goal was a fan­tas­tic strike but I don’t want to see want too many more goals like their sec­ond one. It was a bad one to give away.”

PIC­TURES: Pin­na­cle

ALL SMILES: Ex­eter en­joy Matt Grimes’ open­ing goal STAR MAN

Y CHRIST PYM Ex­eter City

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.