The Football League Paper - - FA CUP SECOND RND - By Mike Simmonds

DAVID FL­ITCROFT in­sisted the fans were as much to thank as Daniel Nardiello as Bury left it late to stay in the hat for the FA Cup third round.

Striker Nardiello scored a stop­page-time equaliser to can­cel out Mark Cullen’s opener at Gigg Lane.

It en­sured Bury’s FA Cup hopes stay alive with the two side’s set for a re­play, and Fl­itcroft was quick to praise a vo­cal home support for play­ing their part in the re­sult.

He said:“It was a typ­i­cal FA Cup tie where both teams don’t want to lose the game, and cer­tainly we wanted to win in. We dom­i­nated the game and kept plough­ing, kept build­ing pres­sure.

“The fans were ex­cel­lent and they were still be­liev­ing that we could pro­duce a goal, our golden mo­ment, and we did do.

“We’ve tried to work on our fi­nal ball in train­ing and just our last end bit, putting the ball in the back of the net is the most dif­fi­cult bit.

“We’ve got fan­tas­tic fin­ish­ers, six or seven that are out­stand­ing at this level, and we just need to tighten up on the last bit as the ap­proach play is as good as you will see at this level and the level up.”

Mean­while, Lu­ton boss John Still felt his side had done enough to see the game out, but was dis­ap­pointed striker Ricky Miller gave away a need­less foul in the buildup to the equaliser.

He added: “We’d done ev­ery­thing. I felt we were com­fort­able. They were hit­ting lots of balls into the box that I felt we dealt with re­ally well.

“Ricky has come on and done re­ally well but he gave away a sloppy free-kick for no rea­son. That saw the ball in our box and they get a re­play from that.

“If you don’t foul you don’t con­cede but he’s young and still learn­ing. Hav­ing said that, he almost made it 2-0.That’s all part of the learn­ing curve.”

Lu­ton striker Charlie Walker almost opened the scor­ing early on, chip­ping just wide of goal as keeper Robert Lain­ton raced out to meet him.

Bury pressed mainly from range with Ever­ton loa­nee Hal­lam Hope shoot­ing over and Andy Drury do­ing the same for Lu­ton.

Hope then shot into the sidenet­ting and then had an ef­fort that Mark Tyler took two at­tempts to gather.

Hope was Bury’s most likely out­let in the open­ing pe­riod, ex­chang­ing passes in the box and fir­ing off tar­get, when Danny Mayor’s cross was scooped away from un­der­neath his own bar by Luke Wilkin­son.

The Shak­ers’ poor shoot­ing con­tin­ued in the sec­ond pe­riod, Mayor once again waste­fully wide, while Cullen’s am­bi­tious vol­ley was no bet­ter for Lu­ton mo­ments later.

How­ever, Cullen broke the dead­lock on 50 min­utes as Scott Grif­fiths’ cross was fum­bled by Lain­ton and Town’s top scorer slid in to notch his ninth of the sea­son.

Hope should have lev­elled mo­ments later, fir­ing hor­ri­bly over, as did Craig Jones from close range. But the Shak­ers never gave up and Nardiello pounced to en­sure a re­play.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.